class rank or research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which one is more impt. for matching into anesthesiology? What if the research is not directly related to gas?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 scores. Sorry if this isn't on your list, but class rank is often concealed deep within the deans letter and sometimes in cryptic terms such as "excellent" "very good" "good", etc. Step 1 gets you in the door to interviews, but that's not all that matters so don't get down too much if your score is subpar. Now if your class rank gets you AOA then that's a different story, AOA probably looks real good as well. As for research, sure it will help at programs that stress research. At community hospital programs, probably not as much.

I agree with above. As long as your grades aren't terrible, step1, step2, and your letters are the important things. A step 1 or 2 of 220+ should get you in the door most anywhere. Research doesn't matter much. It may help you at your interview, but the steps get you the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
I haven't taken my steps yet....i'm an m1. Basically I wanted to know of the two which one is more important because I'm going to take on a project which will take up time and wondering if it takes too much...and affects my grades...is it worth it?

Thanks

I wouldn't take on a project that would affect your grades/learning. I would spent your free time on learning your core subjects so that you can use that knowledge toward doing well on step 1.

I had no research experience or any interest in it but scored well on step 1 and was offered interviews at every place I applied.

I agree. Learning comes first. If it's going to jeopardize your grades, I wouldn't be in a rush to get involved in research.