Class Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toofers14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first semester of dental school and received a 3.83 GPA. I am attending an average state school, not a crazy competitive school by any means. What percentile does this GPA likely put me in? I have always wanted to go into ortho or perio and am wondering if I need to work harder this semester to raise my GPA. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my first semester of dental school and received a 3.83 GPA. I am attending an average state school, not a crazy competitive school by any means. What percentile does this GPA likely put me in? I have always wanted to go into ortho or perio and am wondering if I need to work harder this semester to raise my GPA. Thanks!
Need to learn what class rank is yo. It compares you to your classmates, not other schools. For us at my school it appears on our transcript after first year is complete.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Need to learn what class rank is yo. It compares you to your classmates, not other schools. For us at my school it appears on our transcript after first year is complete.

I guess you misunderstood me lol, I am not wondering where I am in relation to other schools. I was trying to say I don't go to a crazy competitive school where a really high GPA may put me in the top 40 or whatever. We don't know our rank yet but based on other people's experiences at other schools, where does this likely put me? It's probably a pointless question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you misunderstood me lol, I am not wondering where I am in relation to other schools. I was trying to say I don't go to a crazy competitive school where a really high GPA may put me in the top 40 or whatever. We don't know our rank yet but based on other people's experiences at other schools, where does this likely put me? It's probably a pointless question.

You could probably get a better answer/idea from an upperclassman/woman at Indiana. I think this varies based on the students in your class

But that's my point, people's experiences at other schools don't mean anything for this because your GPA could be very good, or very poor, based on your classmates. At my school, if you have above a 3.5, you're doing pretty good. If you have above a 3.6, you're killing it. Other schools I know of say that they had 3.7 and they were barely in the top half of their class. So it's all relative. I'd just keep working hard, and check rank when it comes out. If you want to go into Ortho, you'll never be safe unless you've given D-School every ounce of yourself.