Class Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalO'Thane

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if residency programs look at class rank as a means for deciding who they want to interview or even where on their match list they want to put someone? I recently found out that I am near the bottom 25% of my class. Just for the record, the rest of my application doesn't look nearly so bad on paper: 212 step I, 220 step II, 3 decent LOR's (including an anesthesiologist), passed all my classes without difficulty, good clinical performance comments. Any insight you guys have would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

HalO'Thane said:
Does anyone know if residency programs look at class rank as a means for deciding who they want to interview or even where on their match list they want to put someone? I recently found out that I am near the bottom 25% of my class. Just for the record, the rest of my application doesn't look nearly so bad on paper: 212 step I, 220 step II, 3 decent LOR's (including an anesthesiologist), passed all my classes without difficulty, good clinical performance comments. Any insight you guys have would be great.

Good question. I worried about this for a long time. I was also in the bottom 25% of my class, (btw, in anesthesiology residency). Ask to see the spread for ranking, numbers etc, like what grade average correlates with what class rank. I was asked only once on an interview about class rank, almost as an afterthought. I think the recurring theme I do seem to hear is USMLE cutoffs. Let me assure you, you are well within range for probably most programs, judging by the level of competition out there now. One of the nice things about anesthesiology, which by all means attracts great people and great minds, is that generally speaking, most of the creme-de-la-creme so to speak, in scores, tend to fall off, and seem to consider anesthesiology and finally opt-out for things like radiology, dermatology, etc. No hate mail please :eek: just kidding :cool: -yes ok I do not have "links to journal articles" but this is what I get from many people I meet and what I have overheard and discussed.

Those of you who are "creme-de-la-creme" and chose anesthesia, I applaud you! I truly believe anesthesiology is the most incredible specialty of medicine! Many, many benefits in many many ways. Gas docs seem to be majority of people who look happy while working!

Hope this helps!