Class ranking/quartile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuildingMyOwnLuck

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it's indicated in the PD survey, does that factor indicate that an applicant would be set back if they were in the 2nd quartile/3rd quartile? Or is it more of looked at that you're not in the bottom? (kind of like the failed COMLEX/Step factors in that survey?)

Members don't see this ad.

Being at the top will help you, being at the bottom will hurt you, being in the middle will be most likely be a non-factor.

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody truly knows except PDs. Unfortunately, we don't really have any better data than the PD survey. Interpret it how you will. SDN likes to say that you should just try to avoid being bottom fourth, but nobody on here really knows anymore than you do at this point +/- hearing the opinions of 1-3 PDs.

I personally took SDN's advice and prioritized my own mental well-being and boards during preclinical. I am 3rd quartile. I have no regrets and a great application otherwise. But you're working with P/F step. I don't know if I'd take that same strategy with P/F boards.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally took SDN's advice and prioritized my own mental well-being and boards during preclinical. I am 3rd quartile. I have no regrets and a great application otherwise. But you're working with P/F step. I don't know if I'd take that same strategy with P/F boards.

This has been my thought process as well. Which field are you aiming for if you don't mind me asking?

This has been my thought process as well. Which field are you aiming for if you don't mind me asking?

Yah, no worries, neurology. I'm feeling very comfortable this year despite all the covid wackiness. So ultimately, like I said above, I believe that I properly prioritized. The bulk of the advice that I followed was from upperclassmen, reddit and SDN.