Class Withdrawal?

Started by Tottil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tottil

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, here's the deal. I am struggling in a graduate level course and without some way to rectify my current grade (prof has me write a paper, attend seminar, etc.) I will end up with a C. The other catch is that I am taking this class to "improve" my competitiveness for re-application in the spring. ANOTHER catch is that I am taking 2 other classes, one of which is a pre-req for the other, which the other is then a pre-req for this class I'm having trouble in. I am doing fine in the other two classes.

Of course, when I signed up for this class, I thought I would be able to work hard and do well. Turns out I worked very hard but because I am taking the prereqs concurrently, I am not able to fully grasp the important aspects of the course (hence probably a C if I complete it).

My options are to withdraw pending some assistance from my professor.

My question: Will it hurt me significantly if I withdraw from a class after I have already gone through a cycle of admissions (obviously I didn't get in)?
I will be able to explain the W very easily, but I'm just curious what you all think?

My overall gpa is a 3.3, sci gpa=3.2 and I have shown a significant upward trend (freshman and soph year were not kind to my transcript). I also have an MPH with a grad gpa of 3.65.
 
What kind of grad classes are you taking?
Most will do little to help your app; unless it is a SMP.

If you are sure the best you can do is a C, I'd drop it.
Neither will look good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are biology classes. One is Development and cancer, the other is developmental biology. Both of them require genetics which I am currently taking, but because I enrolled in the graduate level of the two devo courses I could over-ride the prereqs. I obviously got ahead of myself.
 
They are biology classes. One is Development and cancer, the other is developmental biology. Both of them require genetics which I am currently taking, but because I enrolled in the graduate level of the two devo courses I could over-ride the prereqs. I obviously got ahead of myself.

That stinks, yea I'd take the W rather than the C! GL with the rest of your course work 🙂
 
They are prereqs for a reason!! 😀

Touche.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm still waiting to hear back from my prof but if it turns out I can't do any extra work I'll be taking the big DUB. It is easier to explain.

Thanks again 🙂
 
I agree.
I would withdraw.
It would be better than getting a C.
If you get asked about it, just say that you signed up,then realized you needed the other 2 classes to really understand the material in the 3rd one. I don't think it's going to hurt that much, particularly if you do well in the other two.