Class work-load question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odublar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have six classes that I want to take this semester but need to narrow down to 5. It's my first regular semester this fall. I am currently attending with 4 classes. They are Introductory Algebra (I've been out of school 7 years, so I'm really rusty), General Psychology, Expository Writing, and Intro to New Testament (Campbell requires 1 Religion).

Anyways, I'm doing pretty well so far. I've handed in all my homework on time and the two tests in Psychology I have taken I received a 96 and 100. It's only been 3 weeks so anything can happen but I'm staying focused.

I just got a call from the local pharmacy and may be working part-time. I'm going from 8 to 2 and am sure I can handle 20 hours a week. Money is not a problem, I get the GI Bill, so I can survive and take time off if I'm struggling in school.

I just rounded down six classes that looked like they needed to be taken care of first. They are:

SPA 111
MAT 080
CHM 151
HIS 111
BIO 111
ENG 112

I'm pretty sure SPA 111, MAT 080, and ENG 112 will be the easiest to take and really need to decide which of the other 3 I should drop. I'm just concerned that I can't reference this summer session to the fall session because the counselor said it was a different beast. Obviously, 6 more weeks is better.

However, I don't want to take two really hard classes. I'd rather take two moderate classes and do well in them.

It may be too early, but just to show how motivated I am, I was a C- student in High School. Through the military I have matured and with my goal in mind, I have made sure that I keep all A's in the 4 classes I am taking.

With all the reading on this board I have done, I realize I am in the easy (kiddie pool) time of college life. I just want to make sure I can swim in the deep end before diving in when the time comes.

I'm thinking

SPA 111
MAT 080
CHM 151
HIS 111
ENG 112

Strictly because I think putting chm 151 and bio 111 together might be a bad idea. Perhaps you may think I should take BIO 111 before CHM 151.

Or you might think BIO 111 and CHM 151 might go together well. I'll rely on people with the experience.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is BIO 111 and CHM 151 general bio and general chem I? If so, it should be managable. I took those two classes together during my third quarter as a freshman. If CHM 151 stands for ochem then it'll be hard considering you're taking 5 classes and working part-time. I agree on dropping HIS 111 (history right?) and would require papers. I personally wouldn't want to take 2 writing courses if I had 2 science courses. Plus, I don't like history :p

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, it would be General Chemistry I "CHM 151", Principles of Biology: Cells "BIO 111", and Western Civilization I "HIS 111". I like writing, as a hobby of sorts, but would not want to have competing essays when starting out.

btw, if you don't mind me asking what did you finish with in those two classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you taking classes at a cc in NC? Anyways, Bio 111 should be pretty easy since all you're doing is memorizing info. Chm 151 is a bit more work but still shouldn't be that hard. Classes like history or any social science/humantities classes, take'em online to save some time. Oh and check out http://www.ratemyprofessor.com and read up on the professor that's teaching so you don't get stuck with one that's horrible.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I go to Coastal in Jacksonville.

I used that for the teachers I have now. They were pretty accurate except my English teacher is better than what they have.

I'm kind of wary of online classes as I need presence to learn really. Plus, I like home to be my time, and school to be my school time. If that makes sense.

I hope Bio is easy, I'm not bad on memorizing, but I don't want to learn it just to data dump. I really would like to be able to retain it. I don't have the best memory.

Also, I'm wondering where you figured out that I am in NC. I'm guessing it was because I said Campbell. Am I right?

Yeah I did General Biology w/Lab and General Chemistry w/Lab last semester and its very doable because one has nothing to do with the other. Flashcards for Biology saved my life and time. I walked away with an A in Biology and Lab and an A in Chemistry and a B in Chemistry Lab. I think you have the right idea of mixing nonscience classes in your schedule it balances itself out.

HTH

You'll be fine as long as you manage your time effectively. Two years ago I managed Physics 2 (calc based), Organic 2, and Calc 2, along with a history course and came out with 2 A's and 2 A-'s. And this past year I juggled around 7 courses and did fine. You just need to focus on getting things done and managing your time. I didn't spend every day studying, I was just organized about how I went about studying for each of my classes. Good luck!

Those courses you have listed are all very do-able, You may want to separate out the SPA, ENG, and HIS courses over 2 semesters though, the busy-work could be killer!

Those courses you have listed are all very do-able, You may want to separate out the SPA, ENG, and HIS courses over 2 semesters though, the busy-work could be killer!

Okay, quick question for you then. I want to take Spanish as soon as possible because I have to take 3 courses in it. You know, 9 credit hours for foreign language. Spanish would be the most appropriate I think.

Are you saying I should remove one of them? I want to continue my english out and get it done right after I finish Eng 111 which I'm doing now. Should I split those up still? Is that what you are saying? Should I wait til Spring to take Spanish?

BTW, here is what I have my mind set on right now...

ENG 112
SPA 111
BIO 111
CHM 151
MAT 080

Thanks again.

Steve

That stinks you have to take a foreign language, luckily I didn't have to for my pre-pharm program. I think that schedule will work out fine. I agree you should at least space out the history because although those science courses are doable together, too much busy work (essays and such) from other random classes can get in the way of courses you really need to do well in. Good luck! :thumbup:

That stinks you have to take a foreign language, luckily I didn't have to for my pre-pharm program. I think that schedule will work out fine. I agree you should at least space out the history because although those science courses are doable together, too much busy work (essays and such) from other random classes can get in the way of courses you really need to do well in. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Another Cog just go thrown into the clockwork. I spoke with a counselor, and I am not going to be able to get into CHM 151 until I finish MAT 080

I guess I'll have to figure out another class to take or just substitute it with HIS 111.

No idea right now.

Okay, quick question for you then. I want to take Spanish as soon as possible because I have to take 3 courses in it. You know, 9 credit hours for foreign language. Spanish would be the most appropriate I think.

Are you saying I should remove one of them? I want to continue my english out and get it done right after I finish Eng 111 which I'm doing now. Should I split those up still? Is that what you are saying? Should I wait til Spring to take Spanish?

BTW, here is what I have my mind set on right now...

ENG 112
SPA 111
BIO 111
CHM 151
MAT 080

Thanks again.

Steve

I would definitely recommend the spanish as a foreign language, its a very practical language to speak. What I meant was that in my experience, both spanish and history classes have had a lot of busy work associated with them, mainly homework and random assignments. English and spanish at the same time should be fine, usually in english classes all you have are reading assignments and papers. That schedule you posted looks good to me.

You're trying to apply to UNC aren't you? Same here.

Yup, I plan on applying to both Campbell and UNC-CH when the time comes. :)

Good Luck to you!