classes at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulCC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my situation is ... weird. haha

I just graduated from a University of CA with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.4sGPA. I'm taking this year off to study for my MCAT and pre-write some essays (to which I can tailor to the individual med schools later on). I was thinking of taking courses at my university or at a nearby state university, but their classes fill up quickly and so it's extremely hard for "non degree" students to take these courses. plus, i can't afford to pay for classes as a "graduate" student.

THEREFORE, I was thinking of just taking a couple of bio courses at a local community college. I've already taken all of the pre-reqs at my home university, but there are still some courses that I haven't taken yet and since I'm taking a whole year off I thought I'd might as well take them. i'm not really doing a formal post bac, but i know that any courses you take after you graduate is considered "post bac".

Do you suppose it's okay to take these courses (microbiology, immunology, etc) at a community college?

thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

my situation is ... weird. haha

I just graduated from a University of CA with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.4sGPA. I'm taking this year off to study for my MCAT and pre-write some essays (to which I can tailor to the individual med schools later on). I was thinking of taking courses at my university or at a nearby state university, but their classes fill up quickly and so it's extremely hard for "non degree" students to take these courses. plus, i can't afford to pay for classes as a "graduate" student.

THEREFORE, I was thinking of just taking a couple of bio courses at a local community college. I've already taken all of the pre-reqs at my home university, but there are still some courses that I haven't taken yet and since I'm taking a whole year off I thought I'd might as well take them. i'm not really doing a formal post bac, but i know that any courses you take after you graduate is considered "post bac".

Do you suppose it's okay to take these courses (microbiology, immunology, etc) at a community college?

thanks for any advice.

Your 3.3/3.4 is not a very competitive GPA, as you probably know. Therefore, taking something is better than nothing. Just make sure you get 4.0s, literally. Don't give anyone any room to say "kid didn't get an A at a CC." Not to say that CCs are easy, but this is a convenient stereotype for someone looking at your application.

Taking 2 classes, however, will boost your GPA by like 0.04 probably (with 2 As). Therefore, I guess it is good you are taking an entire year to study for the MCAT. You will need a 33+ to be competitive at the less selective med schools (you may get in to your state school with a 30-32, depending on where you are from).