classes in the final semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious, do vet schools ask what you enroll in for your final semester as part of/ before they make their decision? I will apply this fall, and while I don't plan on slacking off last semester, my course decisions would be influenced based on whether or not it matters to vet schools. For example, I might take some more of the recommended courses as opposed to interesting but non-vet related classes. I know they want fall semester grades but wasn't sure about future course plans. Thanks
 
The schools I applied to asked what courses I planned to take the following semester(s).
 
Depends on the school, I think. VMCAS has a section for future courses. I still had prereqs to take so I never even thought to check whether it's required to report planned non-required courses. I just included everything.

Some schools don't care if you actually take the same future courses you listed on VMCAS, as long as you pass any remaining prereqs. So I doubt those schools really consider planned electives in their decision. But I think they still wanted us to list it on the application. One school told us to email admissions before changing anything in our planned courses, so I think that school (Western University, in California) really cares what you plan to take. Once you know which schools you're applying to, I don't think it would hurt to email admissions and ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on the school, I think. VMCAS has a section for future courses. I still had prereqs to take so I never even thought to check whether it's required to report planned non-required courses. I just included everything.

Some schools don't care if you actually take the same future courses you listed on VMCAS, as long as you pass any remaining prereqs. So I doubt those schools really consider planned electives in their decision. But I think they still wanted us to list it on the application. One school told us to email admissions before changing anything in our planned courses, so I think that school (Western University, in California) really cares what you plan to take. Once you know which schools you're applying to, I don't think it would hurt to email admissions and ask.

This sounds reasonable. I had my prereqs done after the fall semester and my class schedule ended up being entirely different in the spring than I had originally planned for and put on my VMCAS. And I dropped 3 of those classes anyway once I got my first acceptance letter...No questions were ever asked.
 
I only put the prereqs I was taking in the Spring on the future courses section because I didn't even know what the rest of my schedule would look like. Registration doesn't happen until October/November anyway here, so I had no idea what my plans were. I don't think it really matters unless the school has said it does.
 
I only listed prerequisite courses in the planned coursework section since I didn't know what other classes I'd be taking. Then I only actually took the courses if the school that required them didn't reject me.