Classes to Include in Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bcrunner1313

UFCVM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
When calculating your science GPA, do you include courses other than those listed as pre-reqs? I spoke with my advisor at UF, and he said that your science GPA was calculated only on the pre-requisite classes. Is this true of other schools, or do they look at other science classes that you have taken?

I have taken other classes like Growth and Development of Domestic Animals, Reproductive Physiology & Endocrinology in Domestic Animals, Health and Medical Terminology, etc., and I am wondering if I could figure these classes in for my VMCAS science GPA. What have you guys done/ what are you planning on doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a similar question on the boards a few weeks ago...the advice I got from everyone was to call each school that you are applying to and ask. Every school will be a little different, so there's not one set "right" answer.

Yeah. I tried using that wonderful search function, but got stuff from the pre-med forum as well as some outdated stuff. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I tried using that wonderful search function, but got stuff from the pre-med forum as well as some outdated stuff. Thanks.

Make sure you go to Advanced Search and you can select only prevet (and/or the vet forum) or whatever one you want to look at. Its under the buttons for "search threads"!

There's a "search this forum" button.... might be helpful! :D

This is probably no help because I haven't applied yet and don't have the slightest clue about how VMCAS has you enter courses, but...

If next month the application asked me to categorize courses as science or non-science I'd include all of my biology, chemistry, physics, and math (I heard before that math usually counts as science) classes. I'd probably also add in any other course that I felt had a very strong biological basis (my psychology class about neuroscience, a natural science core class that was essentially intro bio). However, I have no idea if the application even asks us to do this or gives specific instructions.

I'd imagine that each school sees your VMCAS application and then calculates a science GPA unique to them and their idea of what a science gpa includes. Can't say I have the energy to look up that kind of GPA calculation info even for myself!

I've got some weird classes from my last degree (mortuary science) that I'm not sure how to classify.

I've got 2 classes that are "embalming theory and practice I and II," Thanato-microbiology/pathology, and thanatochemistry. The embalming classes I'd be willing to agree that they're not exactly science classes (but there's a ton of chemistry and anatomy in them). The thanato classes definitely are, but I'm worried about how they'll be classified since they've got MOR prefixes.

I can just imagine the conversation when I call VMCAS or the schools to ask. "You took WHAT classes? Hmmm, we've never had this scenario pop up."

That *is* pretty strange, trocarkarin, but it will definitely set you apart! Imagine the interview questions. Haha! I think it could work in your favor, and it seems like fairly relevant experience too, at least most of it.

Dead people would freak.me.out. Animals I can do. People... ickickick. Just couldn't. I don't have the nads to do it!

As for the science classes, I think some schools consider all science classes, and some consider all pre-reqs. OKSU does pre-reqs, so the chemistries, biologies, physics, statistics, english course, nutrition, and genetics are averaged. Physiology, though relevant and science-y, is not counted because it's not a pre-req.

Thanks for your opinions bunnyslippers and twelvetigers!

I also believe I am now a quasi-expert on this forum's search function...Thanks:)

That *is* pretty strange, trocarkarin, but it will definitely set you apart! Imagine the interview questions. Haha! I think it could work in your favor, and it seems like fairly relevant experience too, at least most of it.

Dead people would freak.me.out. Animals I can do. People... ickickick. Just couldn't. I don't have the nads to do it!

My mom always used to ask why I didn't combine my mortuary experience and my love of animals, and start some sort of pet cemetery/funeral home. She didn't get that while dead people don't bother me, working with dead animals all day would be depressing.

I've got some weird classes from my last degree (mortuary science) that I'm not sure how to classify.

I've got 2 classes that are "embalming theory and practice I and II," Thanato-microbiology/pathology, and thanatochemistry. The embalming classes I'd be willing to agree that they're not exactly science classes (but there's a ton of chemistry and anatomy in them). The thanato classes definitely are, but I'm worried about how they'll be classified since they've got MOR prefixes.

I can just imagine the conversation when I call VMCAS or the schools to ask. "You took WHAT classes? Hmmm, we've never had this scenario pop up."

While these are some unique classes for a pre-vet, it can't hurt to ask. I know some of the schools have supplements where you (annoyingly :laugh:) have to put in all the classes that fulfill certain requirements. You never know what classes they will accept so it can't hurt to call or email the schools (though I recommend emailing so you have it on record just incase!...i actually had an issue with Auburn for this reason this year)

First of all you never know what they will accept as an "upper-level bio/science" class. Also, Missouri let me count both my Neuroanatomy and Anatomy of Vision classes as "anatomy", and my Physiological Psychology class as "physiology" (even though it was in the psych department - but keep in mind at my UG psych is a natural science with 3 hour labs in which we perform things like stereotactic surgery on chicks and write 25+ page APA lab reports). I emailed the school explaining that I wanted to use such and such class to count for X requirement. I gave the full title of the class (AKA Pysch 325 Physiological Psychology) and a short description of what it entailed as well as offered to get the course syllabus should they require it. One of the odd ones I got was my Advanced Neuroscience to count for the second English requirement for most schools!

Anyway, I know im verbose so I hope thats clear and helps you figure out how to figure out what to do with those interesting classes you worked so hard in!:luck:

Things may have changed but I don't remember having to calculate a science GPA. You had to list your cumulative GPA and all your classes but the science GPA/pre-req GPA is something done by the schools themselves. Or at least it was...

Good luck!

I actually know someone who applied to vet school who also had done mortuary science courses (thought that was going to be his profession for a while). So at least some of the schools must have encountered it before. :) Probably somewhat rare, though.