Classes to take for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jabberwocky12

Pharmaceutical Wizard
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!

So I haven't taken chemistry since high school and got a 5 on the AP tests. So I tested out of chemistry but it's been about 3-4 years.

when studying for the PCAT, do you think it would be enough to take biochem? I'm finishing up organi next semester and I hear biochem is a combination of organic and general chemistry.

I can always re-take the chemistry 1 and 2 (8 hours of A credit wouldn't hurt me :laugh:) but then I basically have no summer to take other courses and I fall behind possibly. Going with that same direction, should I re-take Bio 1? Bio 1 at my school consists of like cell biology, cell cycle, genetics, some chemistry, etc.

Any other courses you recommend taking?

Next semester and the semester before the PCAT I'll be taking
Genetics
Animal phys
A&P 1 and 2
Precal
Cal 1
Microbiology
Cell biology

So I think I'll be set everywhere else.

thanks for the help, I appreciate the feedback ^_^
 
The classes you are planning on taking will be more than enough for the PCAT. Cell biology, genetics, and biochem are more advanced than what the PCAT asks for. Those are good classes to take prior to entering Pharmacy School though.

As for retaking bio 1 and gen chem, it depends on how much information you have retained. There are many questions covering topics you learned in those classes.

I think instead of retaking the classes, you should order PCAT study materials such as Dr. Collins and see how well you do on those practice exams. Also, you can purchase practice exams from the testmakers of the PCAT - Pearson.

Hope this has helped.
 
I took the PCAT before taking O chem. I wouldn't recommend this! On the plus side, after less than 1 semester of O chem, my scores on Pearson's practice PCAT jumped quite a bit. I really think having a bit of O chem would be a big big help.

The classes I had that I felt helped me the most were A&P, Gen chem 1&2, and general biology. There were a few things from microbiology, but quite limited.

Another thing I'd do is keep active and read about pharmacy and healthcare in the news. The writing assignments tend to be topics involving ethics, pharmacy, medicine, healthcare, etc and are somewhat topical, from what I experienced.