Classes you wish you took before Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, yeah at Ross we learn the entire body in 3 months versus traditional medical schools that allot more time

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but 3 months for Anatomy is also what my school does. It's a traditional curriculum US MD state school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but 3 months for Anatomy is also what my school does. It's a traditional curriculum US MD state school.

All of Anatomy head to toe was covered in 8 weeks at my school during M1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, yeah at Ross we learn the entire body in 3 months versus traditional medical schools that allot more time

I'm sure any school could do it in 3 months (isn't that how it used to be anyway?), but the trend is towards integrating preclinical courses rather than having them as disparate blocks. Hence, anatomy gets stretched out over a longer period of time. There's only so much stuff you can learn at one time, so something has to give.

Reactions: 1 user
We do anatomy in 7 weeks at my school. Not trying to get into a pissing contest, but telling people to take anatomy in undergrad or else their first year won't end well is not good advice. Yes some people struggle with anatomy, but people who put the adequate time and effort in do fine.
That's rough. But yea, I don't think classes from undergrad are going to help much in med school.

I'm sure any school could do it in 3 months (isn't that how it used to be anyway?), but the trend is towards integrating preclinical courses rather than having them as disparate blocks. Hence, anatomy gets stretched out over a longer period of time. There's only so much stuff you can learn at one time, so something has to give.
Yes. Exactly. The trend has been for a while to integrate across basic science subjects, mainly bc that is how the USMLE Step 1 tests basic science information.

Don't study at all. If you want to do something productive to help you in the long run (increase your chances of matching into competitive specialties/programs) then maybe do some research and get publications. A bunch of competitive residency programs love research and you can put your undergrad publications in your resume. You have an entire year! Do some productive research and enjoy life. Other things that will help you are learning the Spanish language and medical spanish. It's always great to be bilingual that will be a huge boost in your medical career. If you got $ idk go to Spain, take a vacation and learn Spanish lol.

Congratulations on getting into medical school!

thank you! And that is exactly what I'm doing, I work full time in a lab and just submitted an abstract with my name on it! So hopefully that helps later on!

All of Anatomy head to toe was covered in 8 weeks at my school during M1 year.

Ouch, did you have other classes? We do it in 3 but we also have Embryo, Cell Bio, Histo, and a clinical skills/forum/? classes at the same time. I can't imagine going into the depth that we do in only 8 weeks, we rushed through lower limb as it is.

Ouch, did you have other classes? We do it in 3 but we also have Embryo, Cell Bio, Histo, and a clinical skills/forum/? classes at the same time. I can't imagine going into the depth that we do in only 8 weeks, we rushed through lower limb as it is.

Yeah we took it with Embryo and Principles of clinical medicine (PCM). PCM was actually the heaviest weighted class during M1 year and I took a pretty big toll in that class because of Anatomy.