Classification - Thesis and Independent Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chembiomed

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I had a quick question about course classification regarding independent study and undergraduate thesis classes.
I took couple of directed independent research and undergraduate thesis course that all have the prefix CHM (chemistry) under our university guideline. However, since these are not like formal courses, I was wondering if I should categorize them as chemistry or other in AMCAS classification. I asked AAMC and they basically said they cannot offer help with that.

In addition, since these were research courses, would it be best to label them as "lab" or "lab and lecture"?

Thank you!
 
Hello!

I had a quick question about course classification regarding independent study and undergraduate thesis classes.
I took couple of directed independent research and undergraduate thesis course that all have the prefix CHM (chemistry) under our university guideline. However, since these are not like formal courses, I was wondering if I should categorize them as chemistry or other in AMCAS classification. I asked AAMC and they basically said they cannot offer help with that.

In addition, since these were research courses, would it be best to label them as "lab" or "lab and lecture"?

Thank you!
1. What is the "primary scientific content" of your directed independent research studies?

2. If they focus primarily on chemistry, suggest you classify the courses as "chemistry" courses that were taken "for credit" at your university.

3. You can enter these directed independent study courses as "research" in the activities section of AMCAS.
 
1. What is the "primary scientific content" of your directed independent research studies?

2. If they focus primarily on chemistry, suggest you classify the courses as "chemistry" courses that were taken "for credit" at your university.

3. You can enter these directed independent study courses as "research" in the activities section of AMCAS.
Thank you!

I was asking more about the following question they ask on AMCAS:
1781740258127.png

I wasn't sure which one to select from these options.
 
1. On AMCAS, it's fine to select "Lab Only" for CHM directed independent research course and the undergraduate thesis course.

2. If your course also specifically included structured meetings with an instructor (e.g., instructional office hours) as well as your own independent research, you can select Combined Lecture and Lab.