assets1

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2007
Status
I was wondering what the classroom environment/curriculum was like in optometry schools. Is it straight one way lecturing by the prof, or is it more interactive as in discussions, required class participation, presentations, seminar like group sessions, small group, active learning exercises etc? I am actually in law school right now and feel kind of uncomfortable with all the interaction and public speaking i have to do in front of 20 to 100 students. That coupled by my dislike of the study content is making seriously thinking of switching to optometry which is one the few things that I have always wanted to do. (I know I've kind of put myself into a whole but its better now than later to know what I really want to do) I really enjoy interacting one-one (and the prospect of counselling patients) or in small groups like 5-6 people but after that it kind of gets uncomfortable for me. I prefer the straight lecture methods. I guess I am rather shy and not fond of speaking in large crowds. Can someone who is currently in optometry or has some experience please give me some feedback. Thanks, I really need to make some serious decisions and so some information will be greatly appreciated. The two school that I am mostly interested in is Berkeley and Suny but any relevent feedback is welcome.

Thanks Again.

kylee0127

10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Optometry
well...most of our classes are lecture style - at suny that is. the professor comes in and lectures using power point or projector for 50 or 100 min intervals. not many textbooks. mostly extremely thick handouts that you scribble tons of notes on as you go along. we also do a transcript service as a class where we record lectures and each take turn typing up the lecture. each person does it once a semester. there isnt too much interaction although there is in lab, clinic and ethics forums. suny is a relatively small program though (70) so everybody knows each other - as do the professors. so they expect you to participate and ask questions and visit office hours and come to class! hahaha. but if youre that shy...you might consider the impact of patient interaction as a doctor. we start rotations in clinic from the first quarter observing with real patients and participating in the exams. after which we have to present the case we were assigned to the whole group. so far im feeling that it's pretty hard to stay under the radar here. but it's a great program and the faculty is amazing! gl!

About the Ads

cunikki

SCCO 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Littleton, CO
Status
there is a lot of both at my school (SCCO) most of the classes are lectures but the teachers often call you out.. somehow they all know your name even when you think they dont and often ask you a question right on the spot. there are also a lot of labs and discussion groups as well as discussions in clinic. i have found that people who are really shy and dont want to talk usually dont seem to do as well... and also there is a clinic staff doctor who is kind of known for finding the shy people and drilling them... he has been known to make guys cry in clinic. oh well; just something to think about.... try to get over your fear of speaking in front of others... it will only help you in pretty much every way.

princesspinknes

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Optometry Student
there is a lot of both at my school (SCCO) most of the classes are lectures but the teachers often call you out.. somehow they all know your name even when you think they dont and often ask you a question right on the spot. there are also a lot of labs and discussion groups as well as discussions in clinic. i have found that people who are really shy and dont want to talk usually dont seem to do as well... and also there is a clinic staff doctor who is kind of known for finding the shy people and drilling them... he has been known to make guys cry in clinic. oh well; just something to think about.... try to get over your fear of speaking in front of others... it will only help you in pretty much every way.
omg! whos this?? please PM me and let me know so i can be prepared!!

About the Ads