delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted588485

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need to make money right now, and you don't think your grades will suffer, then do what you can to make the money. I did something similar, and I've had a pretty great application cycle. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It will either be neutral or positive depending on who is reading your application. Medicine involves a lot of **** work. Showing the ability to buckle up and do unpleasant but necessary work is a good thing. Do what you need to do and don't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your grades are fine, I can't see why it would hurt your application. Working your way through school will even be seen as a plus.

I'd like to clean local homes on weekends to supplement my income from my research work study position. (I cleaned homes throughout high school.) Would my decision to clean homes negatively impact my chances of admittance when applying to medical schools?
There will not be a negative impact on your application.

It would be very ironic if an ADCOM at any med school held something like this against you considering you will get patients from all walks of life, including maids and for them to hold it against you would defeat the whole purpose of medicine.

Quit fussing; AdComs could care less about your part-time jobs. We realize students have to eat.

I am currently a freshman pursuing a pre-medical path at a competitive university (regularly ranked within the top 15 US universities).

I'd like to clean local homes on weekends to supplement my income from my research work study position. (I cleaned homes throughout high school.) Would my decision to clean homes negatively impact my chances of admittance when applying to medical schools? I don't believe it would; I don't believe it's a terribly radical or strange course of action, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions before advertising my services.

Time is my biggest concern as a freshman. I don't want to overcommit myself. As a maid, I can choose my clients and schedule.

During the summer, I plan to take phlebotomy training courses at a local community college while working in the lab (presumably, while also cleaning homes).

I am currently a freshman pursuing a pre-medical path at a competitive university (regularly ranked within the top 15 US universities).

I'd like to clean local homes on weekends to supplement my income from my research work study position. (I cleaned homes throughout high school.) Would my decision to clean homes negatively impact my chances of admittance when applying to medical schools? I don't believe it would; I don't believe it's a terribly radical or strange course of action, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions before advertising my services.

Time is my biggest concern as a freshman. I don't want to overcommit myself. As a maid, I can choose my clients and schedule.

During the summer, I plan to take phlebotomy training courses at a local community college while working in the lab (presumably, while also cleaning homes).

Your decision to clean homes would not negatively impact your chances of admittance when applying to medical schools...assuming you keep up your grades.

Speaking from experience, do not worry about racking in cash to lower your debt in undergraduate (if this is your intention). This is because whatever money you do make through this line of work will ultimately be negligible compared to the amount of money you will have to pay for medical school. I feel that you would be better off not doing the cleaning job you are pursuing and re-direct that time and energy into getting the highest GPA you can (and/or adjusting to college level courses since you are just a freshman). Maybe worry about extracurriculars after you get a 4.0 or at least close to it in your freshman year.

Thanks for your feedback; that's definitely a valid point.

I receive a generous FA package from my school, so I'd pursue the cleaning position to cover my phlebotomy courses in the summer, light groceries, and extra cash for going out. I finished fall quarter with a 3.75 GPA while participating in two high commitment extracurricular activities and two relatively lower commitment extracurricular activities. I made some mistakes fall quarter, but I feel like with each mistake I was learning. I feel pretty comfortable adding the (weekend) cleaning position to my workload.

I posted my question because I worried that ADCOMs might look down on my cleaning position if they didn't view cleaning as a 'worthy' or relevant skill; I'm not too worried anymore.
Starting your own business (entrepreneurship) that requires people skills, trust, and organization is likely to be viewed as relevant, if you spin it right.

It is not as if medical school admissions committee's will look at two applicants and be like "well, this person worked in an established business/firm part time, and this applicant did free-lance work"; You could spend 15-20 hours a week (or whatever time your schedule allows) in almost any line of work a pre-med student could garner, and as long as your grades don't suffer, it is a plus. It shows responsibility, self-sustainability, and time-management - all necessary qualities for an aspiring physician.

No shame in making an honest living. I wouldn't want to attend a school that looked down on applicants that worked blue collar jobs. We don't all have the privilege of not having to worry about money.