Clep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Few questions about CLEP:

1.) If you pass the exam, what ends up showing on your transcript? Do they put a letter grade on it?

2.) Did people have issues when applying to Med school with CLEP courses?(In my case, I am taking one to fulfill my history requirment)
Do they somehow incorportate the grade you got on that CLEP exam to your GPA? Or is it completly left out?

Thaaaank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Few questions about CLEP:

1.) If you pass the exam, what ends up showing on your transcript? Do they put a letter grade on it?

2.) Did people have issues when applying to Med school with CLEP courses?(In my case, I am taking one to fulfill my history requirment)
Do they somehow incorportate the grade you got on that CLEP exam to your GPA? Or is it completly left out?

Thaaaank you.

1. My transcript says CL which denotes that I received credit for the class and NO its ungraded (letter grade). If u don't make ur schools min cutoff, the courses won't transfer thus it won't show up on ur transcript. If u meet/exceed ur schools min score, u get "ungraded" credits (CL).

2. Yes I had to "repeat" 2 of the courses I received cleps credit for bcos they were prereqs. Virtually all allo schools reject clep credit unless u take additional advanced courses in da sam subject area. Again Clep credits have no impact on gpa, think of it like a pass/fail gradeing..

GDluck

What he said. I took a CLEP and got credit for two semesters of English. Your grade shows as CL (for clep I guess) or TR for transfer, you won't receive a letter grade and it will not figure into your GPA. Keep this is mind and realize that many classes that people consider taking CLEP classes for can be GPA boosters. I also had to retake one english class for which I already had credit because my medical school, and virtually all others, do not accept them.

It may help you get through your undergrad quicker, but take a glance at some medical schools prereqs from their website. It won't help you if you will have to retake them later anyways. I did end up saving myself one semester of english composition, and that to me is worth it.

What he said. I took a CLEP and got credit for two semesters of English. Your grade shows as CL (for clep I guess) or TR for transfer, you won't receive a letter grade and it will not figure into your GPA. Keep this is mind and realize that many classes that people consider taking CLEP classes for can be GPA boosters. I also had to retake one english class for which I already had credit because my medical school, and virtually all others, do not accept them.

It may help you get through your undergrad quicker, but take a glance at some medical schools prereqs from their website. It won't help you if you will have to retake them later anyways. I did end up saving myself one semester of english composition, and that to me is worth it.

This. Unless you have a reason to graduate early or are going to have trouble completing all of your courses, why not take the classes for relatively easy As?