Clerkship Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zrkk2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently debating where to do my away rotations. Here's the dilemma. Should I go do rotations at really top notch places like Mayo or Cleveland Clinic where I may not have a shot at matching no matter what I do there OR should I go to places that aren't quite as good but are more likely to rank a familiar face? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do the away rotations at the "top notch" places. Away rotations can help get you into places where you think you don't have a shot. Although, Mayo and Cleveland Clinic are not very competitive to get into for IM.

I agree, do rotations at where you want to get into. You never know, IM residency selection factors tend to be less based upon numbers then other specialties. If you impress the right people, you may be more competetive then you think for their program. I would rank Mayo and CC as moderately competetive to get into, meaning that you should have a shot as long as you are around the middle half of your class (or just have strong clinical scores).