Test Tools Clerkship/Clinical Rotation Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for clinical rotations. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Step-Up to Medicine, 2e and one copy of Boards and Wards. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product(s) or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Check out our Clerkship Catalog for a complete listing of all texts and reviews by rotation.

For All Rotations:

Boards & Wards

P.I.M.P. Protector: A Medical Reference Guide for Rotations

Hospital Survival: Lessons Learned in Medical Training

Key Texts & Handbooks:

Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students, 5e

Essentials of General Surgery, 4e

Obstetrics and Gynecology, 6e—NEW EDITION! NOW PUBLISHED IN COLLABORATION WITH THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF OBSTETRICIANS AND GYNECOLOLISTS

Essentials of Family Medicine, 5e

Clinical Psychiatry Essentials—NEW!

The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2009

Schwartz’s Clinical Handbook of Pediatrics, 4e

Pocket Medicine, 3e

The Washington Manual of Medical of Medical Therapeutics, 32e

Key Review Series:

NMS- Comprehensive reviews present key concepts in a highly structured outline format

Titles include: Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Surgery, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, and Family Medicine. Also available: NMS Surgery Casebook and NMS Medicine Casebook

Step-Up- Complete outline-format review with numerous tables, illustrations, and diagrams…allows for a quick review of a vast body of facts and compliments many learning styles.

Titles include: Medicine and Surgery

Blueprints- Concise reviews serve as an excellent overview or a quick refresher for rotations. New Editions now available!!

Titles include: Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Surgery, Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Neurology, Emergency Medicine, Radiology, and Cardiology

Recall- Facilitates rapid review and memorization of key concepts using a concise, two-column Q&A format.

Titles include: Surgical, Advanced Surgical, Medicine, Advanced Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Psychiatry, Radiology, ICU, and Toxicology

In A Page—Pocket-size and practical--perfect references in the hospital and in preparation for rounds.

Titles include: Medicine, Pediatrics, Sign & Symptoms, Ambulatory Medicine, Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, Infectious Disease, Inpatient Medicine, Neurology, Ob/Gyn & Women’s Health, and Surgery

Underground Clinical Vignettes Step 2-Presents brief patient-centered cases that highlight a range of frequently tested medical diagnoses

Titles include: Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Ob/Gyn, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the 5 minute clinical consult cover all fields of Medicine (Peds, Ob-gyn, etc...) or just it just focus in on IM related issues?

Does the 5 minute clinical consult cover all fields of Medicine (Peds, Ob-gyn, etc...) or just it just focus in on IM related issues?

Hi Howser,

The 5-Minute Clinical Consult focuses on all areas that primary care physicians deal with...in addition there are over 250 topics in Peds on the online site that comes free with the purchase of the book or with the purchase of the website only. (The Peds topics are extensive so we don't include in the print version.) There is also a full series of 5-Minute books specific to those areas that go into further detail, but the 5-Minute Consult does cover those areas to a certain extent.

Attached is the list of topics that are in the 2009 print version only. The online site contains these topics plus the 250 add'l Peds topics.

Thanks!
LWW

Attachments

• 5MCC2009_Topics.xls
    53 KB · Views: 121
How is PIMP Protector organized? Is it a question-answer format or is it organized by speciality in outline form?

How is PIMP Protector organized? Is it a question-answer format or is it organized by speciality in outline form?

Thanks for your question...PIMP Protector has a systems-based and complaint-based coverage of the most common conditions seen throughout clerkships. Each condition is presented in brief outline-format so students can quickly absorb the info before seeing a patient. For each condition, the book outlines the pertinent positives and negatives in a patient's history and physical examination, so a student knows what to ask a patient, what to look for on exam, and what tests to order.

Thanks so much!
LWW

I own Step Up to Medicine.... how does Boards and Wards compare? What would you say their relative strengths/weakness are?
Is it worth getting B&W if I already have Step up?

do i really need to buy all these books for my clinical years? what book is most essential?

how is the online section of step up to medicine organized? are there online questions? also does step up have any ob material?

I'm in my clinical year now, and I've been really helped by books like Blueprints, Washington Manual etc. Even though I've already finished my medical rotation, I'd love to win a copy of Step-Up for Step 2 study!

I own Step Up to Medicine.... how does Boards and Wards compare? What would you say their relative strengths/weakness are?
Is it worth getting B&W if I already have Step up?

I would defer this specific question to fellow students, but in terms of formatting/purpose...Boards and Wards is a pocket-sized quick reference. It's a very concise review--the authors designed it to be broad in content but lacking extensive detail. It is organized by subject: IM, Surgery, Peds etc. and is portable to carry around in the hospital.

Step-Up is in a larger format and provides more background info. It also contains mnemonics and "Quick Hits" to aid in learning. It's more of a primary study/reference tool. Step-Up is organized by systems.

Thanks!
LWW

how is the online section of step up to medicine organized? are there online questions? also does step up have any ob material?

Step-Up comes with online access to the full text. It is organized by chapter (similar to the print book) and is fully searchable. There are no online only questions, but the online text does include the 100 Q&A found in the book.

Thanks!
LWW

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding your comment about the texts being good in overall content but lacking in extensive detail... would you say these are intended to be more guidebooks for day-to-day use and not intended for NBME Shelf-Exam preparation?

Regarding your comment about the texts being good in overall content but lacking in extensive detail... would you say these are intended to be more guidebooks for day-to-day use and not intended for NBME Shelf-Exam preparation?

In regards to Boards and Wards, I would say it could be used for either, depending on your level of comfort with certain subjects. It can be really good for exam review to jar your memory of testable concepts esp for subject areas you had in the beginning of your clerkship years. It's concise, outline format is ideal for quick review. I would throw this question out to the other SDN members for their comments/experience.

Thanks!
LWW

this might be a very specific question but does pocket medicine come with dosages of the drugs? or how to calculate them?
is pocket medicine also recommended for intern year?

I was looking at the Hospital Survival book. Is this a book of short stories about how to act and not look stupid doing third and fourth year rotations? I'm more wondering about the medical information in it and if I would still Boards and Wards.

this might be a very specific question but does pocket medicine come with dosages of the drugs? or how to calculate them?
is pocket medicine also recommended for intern year?

Pocket Medicine is often used during intern and resideny years, but is also used by many students during clerkships. We asked the author, Mark Sabatine MD, MPH about the drug info and here's his response:

In general, we have opted not to universally include doses as:
1) We are very pressed for space and this information is in Pocket Pharmacopoeia, which is widely carried
2) Often a single dose may not suffice in that there may be a broad range (eg, antihypertensive therapy) or the dose may depend on comorbidities (ie, renal function, etc.) and thus would require a more lengthy discussion than we have space for.
But we do include doses where we thought helpful.
We would welcome hearing about additional specific areas where doses would be particularly useful.

If you have any additional feedback about Pocket Medicine, please let us know.
Thanks!
LWW​

I was looking at the Hospital Survival book. Is this a book of short stories about how to act and not look stupid doing third and fourth year rotations? I'm more wondering about the medical information in it and if I would still Boards and Wards.

Yes, Hospital Survival is a collection of short stories that the author, Grant Cooper MD, collected through his own experience and by talking with a number of other students. Check out his post describing the book: Grant Cooper LWW blog

It doesn't provide specific clinical content, so you still would want to use Boards and Wards.

Thanks!
LWW

I'm interested in boards and wards, is there an errata listed for boards and wards?

thanks for participating

I'm interested in boards and wards, is there an errata listed for boards and wards?

We don't have an errata available at this time, but a new edition of Boards and Wards will be out in the summer.

Thanks!
LWW

I don't have any questions, but I just wanted to say that Step-Up to Medicine is excellent for the IM and outpatient med rotations. All of you second years should definitely get it; it even helped me some for my surgery rotation. Also, the current clinical students have made our own SDN list of errata for Step-Up to Medicine in the Clinical Rotations forum. LWW rep, if you would like to post it on your website, please feel free.

Is there an electronic version of boards and wards for PDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.