Clerkship Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alondite

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strong Step 1, Strong LORs, Research (non anesthesia) w/ publications, but average clinical performance. US med school in top 40. At my school 50% of the class gets a Pass, and up to 80% of the grade comes from subjective evals. :arghh: If all clerkship grades are a Pass (with generally positive comments in MSPE)- how would PDs view this kind of application? And is it worth the gamble to do an away rotation?
I.E. How much does an otherwise strong application offset what feels like the roulette wheel of clinical grades? Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Strong Step 1, Strong LORs, Research (non anesthesia) w/ publications, but average clinical performance. US med school in top 40. At my school 50% of the class gets a Pass, and up to 80% of the grade comes from subjective evals. :arghh: If all clerkship grades are a Pass (with generally positive comments in MSPE)- how would PDs view this kind of application? And is it worth the gamble to do an away rotation?
I.E. How much does an otherwise strong application offset what feels like the roulette wheel of clinical grades? Thanks in advance for the input!

+1. I hate MS3

You should be ok, as long as letters and personal statement are formidable. I had average Step, little research, and straight P’s. Got interviews as high as top 10-20ish programs and matches well. I’d recommend doing an away, because I actually don’t think it’s that hard to be likable and hardworking, and it’s fun to see how other programs are run. Worst case scenario you burn one program, but it’s not as if you have to prove yourself like Ortho or EM aways