clerkship hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long are the days during your clerkship years? Are you at the hospital during the same hours as the residents?

Members don't see this ad.

How long are the days during your clerkship years?

Depends on the rotation. I did anything from 17 hr days (surgery...most were more like 12-15 hrs, though) to 9-3:30 (peds). Most of my rotations were 10-12 hour days working 12 days in a row then 2 days off. Some rotations had all weekends off.

Are you at the hospital during the same hours as the residents?

No, we were always sent home before the residents were leaving.

Agree with DrMom above. The hours, workload and expectations varied greatly with each individual specialty...and even talking with some of my friends I found that the workload among the same specialty varied from hospital to hospital.

Some of your months with be all inpatient, some all outpatient and some mixed.

Some you will be running all over the hospital and others you may never leave one area of the floor (ICU perhaps).

Be prepared for long hours and long workweeks. Afterall, as an intern you will be expected to function at your fullest potential working on no sleep for >24 hours.

Why not get used to it early on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite all that...keep in mind that your 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are more enjoyable than the first 2 years of medical school. :p

Despite all that...keep in mind that your 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are more enjoyable than the first 2 years of medical school. :p

Well that's good!

How long are the days during your clerkship years? Are you at the hospital during the same hours as the residents?

It depends on your school. My longest days were OBGYN (up to 13 hours). My shortest days were Anesthesia (as few as 3 hours).

On surgery, I never went over 12 hours.