Cleveland Clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedimg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
As I need to finalise my rank list, I can't help being left confused. But I have questions about this specific program since:
1. I could not find much on it
2. It is overshadowed by its well known neighbour- Rainbow's
3. It seemed 'small' in comparison to the huge adult hospital

Also, I found this thread on the IM residency
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/cleveland-clinic-internal-medicine-residency.752221/

My questions thus are, does anyone know of the general well-being of residents? working conditions/hours/stress? are they heavy on research? future fellowship opportunities? Is the program mid-tier or low-tier? I heard they are expanding, and they boasted about a whole new building they're setting up so they can have a 'Cleveland clinic children's' own building, but what is the general consensus on this program?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know the program very well having rotated there recently- definitely not a low-tier program. Rapidly improving. Overshadowed by Rainbow is a myth - it sees a higher % of the Cleveland population (albeit only by a small amount) in addition to seeing a much much higher volume of international patients (= higher acuity). Wether that is more reflective of the clinic's growth or Rainbow's decline i'm not sure. Essentially ALL their residents match at their desired fellowships, and in the last couple of years have matched into Cincinnati Children's, CHLA, Nationwide, Boston Children's, Baylor etc. I think some are staying at the clinic for their fellowship too. The residents all seem really happy and well-supported. You won't go wrong!

I know the program very well having rotated there recently-

Did you do a sub-I or an elective? If a sub-I, could you share details about that experience?

Essentially ALL their residents match at their desired fellowships, and in the last couple of years have matched into Cincinnati Children's, CHLA, Nationwide, Boston Children's, Baylor etc. I think some are staying at the clinic for their fellowship too. The residents all seem really happy and well-supported. You won't go wrong!

That is another thing the PD was happy about especially residents going on to top-notch programs. And the residents were all pretty happy. I personally loved it, but then there's not much mention of the clinic. Even with IM, its more known for its subspecialties than the IM residency itself. I guess the same is true for pediatrics?