cleveland clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepdeprived

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much faith you put into things programs tell you? Got a email from CCF saying I would be ranked Favorably! What to make of this and have others also received the same email. do share. Thanks! :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

sleepdeprived said:
I was just wondering how much faith you put into things programs tell you? Got a email from CCF saying I would be ranked Favorably! What to make of this and have others also received the same email. do share. Thanks! :sleep:
easy way to check if it's a 'form letter'

on the top of the email see if it says, TO: distribution.blah blahblah

I believe if it's to 'distribution' then it's obviously a form letter simply a formality. But if its just to you....then consider yourself lucky...unless of course they BCC'd the darn thing :laugh:

I'm not going to share specifics in a thread, but they aren't form letters. Remember that is the program where the PD took 2 hours at the end of his day to touch base with each person and give you very specific feedback.

Did he tell you how well you did or didn't do in the interviews? What were his specific comments about you and the rank list? If your experience was like mine, the email likely mirrors your conversation that day with Dr. Tetzlaff. The guy took notes and used them to draft these letters, I know because I took notes too. I think you can take him at his word.

A few notables from classmates in the early match.

"Well, if you are ranking us #1, then we'll see you in July" is not the same comment and much stronger than "I look forward to working with you in the coming years".

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine in my class did a second look at CCF. He got the same letter, and while he was at the second look they arranged for him to meet with a real estate agent to look at apartments. Sounds relatively credible to me.

location notwithstanding, where does CCF fit in in terms of quality and prestige in comparison to the top programs?

toughlife said:
location notwithstanding, where does CCF fit in in terms of quality and prestige in comparison to the top programs?

As Dr. Roizen stated, the reputation of CCF anesthesiology has not caught up with its clinical and research accomplishments. The hospital itself is a surgey mecca with 100+ ORs. The pain clinic is arguably the largest in the country.

Maybe it has something to do with its location, but CCF is barely considered a top 20 program - when in reality its research and clinical training opportunities are easily in the top 10.

DrRobert said:
As Dr. Roizen stated, the reputaiton of CCF anesthesiology has not caught up with its clinical and research accomplishments. The hospital itself is a surgey mecca with 100+ ORs. The pain clinic is arguably the largest in the country.

Maybe it has something to do with its location, but CCF is barely considered a top 20 program - when in reality its research and clinical training opportunities are easily in the top 10.

What I wonder is if training there will make you competitive for jobs around the country vs. training at some big name university-based program.

toughlife said:
What I wonder is if training there will make you competitive for jobs around the country vs. training at some big name university-based program.

No it's gonna make me very undesirable to all job hunters out there. Boy that was a dumb question!

Sometimes I gotta keep myself in check. :laugh:

i didnt think the residents looked happy there at all. At the lunch, its seemed like it was the first time they saw their peers in weeks. When I asked the cheif if the residents got together after work ever he said they were working on it (meaning rarely!) I was very disappointed for such a big name hospital. I sure the training is fine but it NOT a top 20 program (they take 10 IMG a year, which Im sure are very good). Personally, CW was better.