Cleveland State Post Bacc

Started by Wanderlove
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wanderlove

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to graduate in May with a BS in psychology, 3.8 GPA. I will then need to take all of my pre-reqs for med school. I want to take pre-reqs at Cleveland State University, but I'm unsure of whether I should do my own informal post bacc starting this summer or apply to the post bacc/MD (NEOMED) program in October. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I'm still having a hard time deciding though.

Informal post bacc

Advantages:
-I can get started right away and may be able to finish within a year
-Easy acceptance (they pretty much admit anyone with a Bachelor's)
-Fairly cheap

Disadvantages:
-I would need to work part-time, and that may be difficult to do while taking challenging science courses
-Will have to go through the typical med school application process after completing pre-reqs and taking the MCAT, which can be avoided by entering the post bacc/MD program.

Post bacc/MD

Advantages:
-Lots of extra time to work and save up money
-Less stress
-Reserved seat at NEOMED if I meet all the requirements

Disadvantages:
-It takes two years, and I won't be starting the program until fall 2014.
-It requires more credit hours and urban health seminars
-I will not have an option to apply to other med schools, although I'm not sure this really bothers me all that much because NEOMED seems like a good school.


Can anyone offer any opinions on which would be best?