Climate change too controversial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted981412

Is it a controversial topic to talk about my interest in the clinical implications of climate change, esp when applying to places that bear a large burden of climate-change-related events. Or, best to steer clear?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a controversial topic to talk about my interest in the clinical implications of climate change, esp when applying to places that bear a large burden of climate-change-related events. Or, best to steer clear?

Which kind of places?
I would think climate change is generally accepted...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is climate change really that controversial in the medical community? Your interviews will be with physicians and other phd scientists... people that can read the evidence for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Is climate change really that controversial in the medical community? Your interviews will be with physicians and other phd scientists... people that can read the evidence for it.

Climate change isn't really that controversial unless your interviewer is Glen Beck.

Just because evidence exists doesn't mean people believe it (unfortunately). Think about anti-vaxers. Most of the people that buy that nonsense are well educated and affluent.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
It definitely depends on the school. At my state schools, I definitely wouldn't talk about it because I have had current physicians in my state tell me they don't believe in climate change so I wouldn't assume the physician interviewing me shares my beliefs.

Best to steer clear because this doesn't really make any sense.

Climate change isn't really that controversial unless your interviewer is Glen Beck.

Just because evidence exists doesn't mean people believe it (unfortunately). Think about anti-vaxers. Most of the people that buy that nonsense are well educated and affluent.
I cant believe physicians bought into Purdue Pharma's line about, (and I'm paraphrasing), " You can't become addicted to narcotics if you are taking them while you are in pain" . See where that got us. Researchers get paid to do research. If you dont come to the right conclusion, next grant is gone. Also, drug companies are under no obligation to publish ALL of their research, only what suits their agenda. Physicians should be skeptical of research until results are reproduced. As for OP, I would avoid the climate change topic unless you plan to practice in an area impacted by it. Pollution in general, microparticulates and asthma, etc, might be a good segue into the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As for OP, I would avoid the climate change topic unless you plan to practice in an area impacted by it. Pollution in general, microparticulates and asthma, etc, might be a good segue into the topic.

I agree with this. Please don't try to force this topic.

Interviewer: Anything else you would like to discuss?
ibsrose: Well let me tell you about climate change.
Interviewer: Excuse me?

Reactions: 3 users
Since 99.99% of scientists agree that global warming is real and caused by human activity, I'd say you're safe ground.

Microbiologists are noting that disease bearing mosquitoes are moving northward, as a consequence.

Reactions: 1 users
On a related note, is it OK to talk about something a little more controversial like being in support of single-payer, universal healthcare when asked how I would address the healthcare problems in America?

I (very briefly) mentioned climate change in a secondary, in reference to my interest in infectious disease and the spread of certain vector borne diseases related to climate change. This was for the school I currently attend, which is in an area that is/will be majorly impacted by climate change (as well as said vector borne diseases). It didn't come up in my interview as far as I remember, but I did have specific clinical outcomes of interest as well as prior research experience that I could point to had it come up.

I would probably only discuss it if you have a clear idea of what clinical outcomes you are interested in, or alternatively, if you're applying to programs that also offer a combined MPH/otherwise have a strong public health focus.

Reactions: 1 user
On a related note, is it OK to talk about something a little more controversial like being in support of single-payer, universal healthcare when asked how I would address the healthcare problems in America?

This is a little different because in this situation they are giving you the green light. Insurance and the cost of healthcare is a huge problem and interviewers will expect that when they ask this question. Just make sure you know the pros and cons of a single-payer system. Don't just say that single-payer will solve all the problems and it is perfect. If you can reasonably talk about both sides then that's great.