Clin path study resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rimfree

KSU 2023
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am having a hard time putting all of the pieces of clinical pathology together, and nothing I have found so far is really nailing it for me. The best resource I have found is the eClinPath website. Do you have any clinical pathology resources that you love that helped you put it all together? Bonus points if it uses flowcharts, my brain works best way :D Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Eclinpath is probably the best online resource. I think the book Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology by Stockham and Scott is the most comprehensive text book. It’s awful to just sit down and read because of the format but it’s great to just look something quick up and has a pretty exhaustive list of differentials.

Maybe make your own flow charts as a study aid? You’ll learn a lot about the information and have a good reference that makes sense to you for future use. Like you could have a heading of Hyperglycemia lead down to categories like endocrine causes (with subcategories of diabetes, hyperadrenocorticism, stress/corticosteroid leukogram and list the mechanism for each), diet (postprandial), other (pancreatitis, sepsis, drugs, etc.). Then repeat for all the main tests. I have some like this another educator gave me to teach rotations from but they’re not something I can share since I didn’t make them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stockham and Scott's text is excellent- I purchased it as a student on recommendation from one of my clin path faculty and refer to it often on the job. If you're interested in practicing clin path interpretation, I also recommend 'Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach' by Sharkey and Radin. As indicated in the title, this text only covers chemistry, but does provide many different panels for practice with interpretation. You can have a go at interpretation on your own, and compare it with the 'answers' provided by the experts. I personally found this one helpful when I started out in clin path as well.

Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach: Sharkey, Leslie C., Radin, Judith: 9781591610182: Amazon.com: Books

Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology: 9780813800769: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Stockham and Scott's text is excellent- I purchased it as a student on recommendation from one of my clin path faculty and refer to it often on the job. If you're interested in practicing clin path interpretation, I also recommend 'Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach' by Sharkey and Radin. As indicated in the title, this text only covers chemistry, but does provide many different panels for practice with interpretation. You can have a go at interpretation on your own, and compare it with the 'answers' provided by the experts. I personally found this one helpful when I started out in clin path as well.

Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach: Sharkey, Leslie C., Radin, Judith: 9781591610182: Amazon.com: Books

Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology: 9780813800769: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Good luck!
Second the Sharkey text. It's great for practice.