Clinic Ins and Outs- MA’s, Scribes, APP’s

Started by TeslaCoil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you really think its just focusing on one injection you need a reality check. Are you a pain management physician?

How about the blood patch which resulted in seizures in a new mother and she collapsed on top of and suffocated baby.

My colleague had a high spinal after a cervical facet. Patient coded and had to be intubated and ventilated until it wore off. Luckily that one survived.

I know numerous pain docs who have caused serious permanent disabling neurological injuries doing epidurals and SCS’s.

I know of far fewer deaths from opiates prescribed in a responsible and lawful manner.

C’mon. Surely you are not so naive.
you are saying opioids dont kill people?
 
I mean, a cervical epidural has the potential for causing harm worse than death- quadriplegia.

I know a very good and respected pain doctor who inadvertently killed an elderly patient via complications of a lumbar epidural. Hospital settled on it recently for a million bucks.

Factually, I hear more about complications from procedures causing a lot more near misses and harmful outcomes than I do from opiates.

Don’t get me wrong though. I very well recognize the dangers of opiate prescribing. I am very careful. I do not play around and the patients know this. If there is any sign of deviation from the rules, its game over.
what complications happened? would love to learn to recognize dangers
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From my understanding patient had critical stenosis, epidural was done at that level and caused spinal cord injury. Patient became essentially hemiplegic, bed bound, shortly thereafter passed of further complications, the details of which Im not aware.
Tough situation
 
thats why you dont inject cervical myelopathy...
in fellowship, i rotated with PMR pain (im anes), and he did 0 cervical anything, always referred to anes pain (outside group) for anything cervical related. There's something to having that kind of practice tbh; was with a large ortho group so plenty of internal volume where he could be this selective
 
My only point is that people are always so laser focused on opiates being high risk while downplaying the risks of everything else we do. I think that there is a place for opiate prescribing within medically and medico-legally reasonable bounds. There are those docs out there who have no idea what they are doing, or those who are unethical, or reckless. I dont think thats the vast majority of pain mgmt docs.
 
you are so clearly missing the point or are obfuscating to try to justify your tenuous stance on chronic opioid therapy.


99% of the cervical epidurals dont cause harm.

dont do cervical epidurals if you think the harm is so great.



you cannot say the same of chronic opioid use.

45-90% develop significant constipation.

22% of long acting opioid users develop OUD.

from CDC:

1767110947257.png
 
you are so clearly missing the point or are obfuscating to try to justify your tenuous stance on chronic opioid therapy.


99% of the cervical epidurals dont cause harm.

dont do cervical epidurals if you think the harm is so great.



you cannot say the same of chronic opioid use.

45-90% develop significant constipation.

22% of long acting opioid users develop OUD.

from CDC:

View attachment 413345
Hmm. Doesn't seem right.
Cuz it aint.
 
you are so clearly missing the point or are obfuscating to try to justify your tenuous stance on chronic opioid therapy.


99% of the cervical epidurals dont cause harm.

dont do cervical epidurals if you think the harm is so great.



you cannot say the same of chronic opioid use.

45-90% develop significant constipation.

22% of long acting opioid users develop OUD.

from CDC:

View attachment 413345
Well what are your prescribing practices then? Just dont prescribe opiates at all?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am HOPD. The things that have made the most difference for burnout is saying "No" to stuff I don't want to do. Talks, committees, meetings, teaching, etc. There is always desire for physician input and it is easy to become the person to ask if you always say yes. If you feel passionate about something than by all means say yes, but be very choosy. Rarely do you ever get paid for that time.

Working less (im down to 4 days a week) made the biggest difference by far for my burnout. I am hoping to go down to 3 days a week in the next 3-5 years.

I have a human scribe that makes my busy clinic day much better. He currently is better than my AI scribe but compared to all my other previous scribes the AI is better.

Having my financial ducks in a row also makes a big difference. I am able to walk away right now and live a minimal/modest lifestyle. I will keep working so that I can do more when I retire and currently I don't feel like quitting, but knowing I could or can in a few years makes all the difference. The pressure to have to be at a job and work because of lifestyle creep/never ending financial obligations will considerably compound your burnout. If you havent yet, get your finances in order. Same with any spouse/significant other. If stuff is hard at home, work will be much more challenging. Often it is hardwired personality stuff that gets triggered when something happens at work (or home, or wherever). If you find you are overreacting to things or the same button is getting pushed you might consider working with a therapist. A good therapist is some of the best money people spend to improve their lives. I get that it isn't for everyone but if you find yourself struggling at least consider it. Usually HOPD have lots of support and resources for people for free to address this.
Great answer. I do have my finances in order other than continuing to pay off student loans. Have 10 years left on those. Financials are not a concern. Im well on target for an early semi-retirement. I probably will stay 5 days a week for now. Maybe go 4 days/week in 5 years or so.

What does your daily and weekly schedule look like in those 4 days? How many patients? Is it a block schedule? How many procedure days? How is your scribe operating with you specifically? Does your scribe prep charts and then scribe during the patient encounter as well?
 
that is not the procedure that is the problem. that is the interventionalist cutting corners and costs.


so not quite applicable.


same thing as NECC. focusing on 1 injection does not equate to treatment that affects society as a whole.

for every 1 person that you talk about, there are 100 more people who have horrible side effects including death from opioids and even more friends and family who are affected.

===

factually, you will not hear about complications from opioids - because people will not willingly discuss their adverse effects or their social difficulties with regards to these meds. you have to ask, and then you will get denial after denial.

why? because people dont want to stop their narcotics.

===

go ahead and focus on a specific complication with 1 specific injection on 1 specific person, but you are comparing a grape to a vineyard.


and again:

finally, if there is a procedure out there that you think has potential for greater serious harm than opioids then that is a procedure you should not be offering to patients.
Not all of the people who got their steroids from NECC were trying to cut costs. Some at least claim that they were trying to find steroids that were preservative free. They at least claim that they were trying to be “safer.” I can only relay what they say.
 
How
If you really think its just focusing on one injection you need a reality check. Are you a pain management physician?

How about the blood patch which resulted in seizures in a new mother and she collapsed on top of and suffocated baby.

My colleague had a high spinal after a cervical facet. Patient coded and had to be intubated and ventilated until it wore off. Luckily that one survived.

I know numerous pain docs who have caused serious permanent disabling neurological injuries doing epidurals and SCS’s.

I know of far fewer deaths from opiates prescribed in a responsible and lawful manner.

C’mon. Surely you are not so naiv
Don’t argue with duct. It’s an exercise in futility.

I still do cervical facets with bupivicaine and depo. They work great in the right setting. Curious, any idea what happened with your partner who got the high spinal. That kinda freaks me out
 
we can quibble over percentages, but clearly this few percent is significantly higher than the percent of people dying from epidural misuse syndrome.

Well what are your prescribing practices then? Just dont prescribe opiates at all?
not for chronic nonmalignant pain. for cancer, end of life are appropriate but they probably should come from the person treating those conditions such as onc or palliative care. i will consider in certain conditions (such as those >85 with no functional capacity)

and i am not routinely recommending long term NSAID or gabapentin use.

i do find it somewhat discomforting that, as an anesthesiologist, i probably spend more time discussing home exercise and functional improvement than most, spend some time introducing patients to pain psychology therapies,
 
How

Don’t argue with duct. It’s an exercise in futility.

I still do cervical facets with bupivicaine and depo. They work great in the right setting. Curious, any idea what happened with your partner who got the high spinal. That kinda freaks me out
Yea he had to intubate the patient right there in the recovery area and ventilate via bag ventilator until they could get patient transferred to ICU to be ventilated overnight. Patient recovered fully. As I recall the patient had a previous posterior fusion which may have predisposed to spread of anesthetic toward cord? Not sure of details but it def happened.
 
Yea he had to intubate the patient right there in the recovery area and ventilate via bag ventilator until they could get patient transferred to ICU to be ventilated overnight. Patient recovered fully. As I recall the patient had a previous posterior fusion which may have predisposed to spread of anesthetic toward cord? Not sure of details but it def happened.
Wow that’s terrifying. Yeah if I do them in posteriorly fused cervical spines I’ll leave out the anesthetic just in case the potential contiguous facet epidural space is actually intrathecal due to altered anatomy
 
we can quibble over percentages, but clearly this few percent is significantly higher than the percent of people dying from epidural misuse syndrome.


not for chronic nonmalignant pain. for cancer, end of life are appropriate but they probably should come from the person treating those conditions such as onc or palliative care. i will consider in certain conditions (such as those >85 with no functional capacity)

and i am not routinely recommending long term NSAID or gabapentin use.

i do find it somewhat discomforting that, as an anesthesiologist, i probably spend more time discussing home exercise and functional improvement than most, spend some time introducing patients to pain psychology therapies,
Hold up, how are you getting paid? You don’t really do procedures and now you’re telling us you don’t prescribe? CBT all day every day certainly can’t pay the bills
 
Also that high spinal case from a facet is bananas. I have to imagine that the risk only exists (and even then rare) from a facet injection not an MBB even with weird anatomy. I say this hopefully as I don't do any IA facets, just MBB/RFA.

Also fwiw I'm also a zero COT guy. I'll write maybe 10 controlled rx a month at the absolute most. 8 are for 2 tabs of diazepam for MRI or procedural anxiolysis. The other 2 are for 5-10 pills of oxy pending imaging/procedure. No refills on opioids ever. No chronic opioids ever.
 
Hold up, how are you getting paid? You don’t really do procedures and now you’re telling us you don’t prescribe? CBT all day every day certainly can’t pay the bills
1. i really dont get paid, at least not what you guys are getting paid. im guessing i make as much a year that you do by tax day.

2. i do procedures, just not as much. they are an adjunct, not the key to a successful practice. the population i see is generally not that interested in injections.

3. i dont look at SDN on the weekend or when im off. so yesterday was New Years. ton more fun stuff to do - like shoveling large pack snow in 14 degree weather, picking up insta-freeze dog poop - than refuting lies and falsehoods on any forum.
 
1. i really dont get paid, at least not what you guys are getting paid. im guessing i make as much a year that you do by tax day.

2. i do procedures, just not as much. they are an adjunct, not the key to a successful practice. the population i see is generally not that interested in injections.

3. i dont look at SDN on the weekend or when im off. so yesterday was New Years. ton more fun stuff to do - like shoveling large pack snow in 14 degree weather, picking up insta-freeze dog poop - than refuting lies and falsehoods on any forum.
This explains a lot 😂
 
our MA’s and the patient do the HPI. I might add a sentence or two. PE is templated. Macros for procedure lcd criteria. Notes done by 4:00 everyday. I see 2-3x per day the amount of patients you have as your goal.
You don't have a PA even in PP?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Bob is like a world-class athlete having a really tough time being a coach in their discipline. Most people aren't readily capable of doing things the way he does it. He's a 1%'er. Some of his processes don't work well for mere mortals.
I just don't know how or why one would want to do med refills or follow-ups, unless perhaps it's a money-losing endeavor in HOPD.

Dumb it down for me.
 
You have to pay a midlevel and here until last year you had to send the prescriptions for them. I had problems with the last one I had also. My partner doesn’t ever bother me and I have enough on my plate without looking over a midlevels shoulder. I enjoy having a physician in the office to bounce cases off of also. I was pretty lonely for years and now that isn’t the case.
 
HOPD is all about wRVU pellets
99214 + G2211 = 1.92 + .33 = 2.25
99204 + G2211 = 2.6 +.33 = 2.93
99244 + G2211 = 2.69 +.33 = 3.02

I do 15 minute follow ups and 30 minute new/consults so you can see the controlled substance med refills and follow ups where you're ordering procedures are actually more valuable per unit time.

I could probably cut my consult time to 20 minutes but I like my current flow.
 
You have to pay a midlevel and here until last year you had to send the prescriptions for them. I had problems with the last one I had also. My partner doesn’t ever bother me and I have enough on my plate without looking over a midlevels shoulder. I enjoy having a physician in the office to bounce cases off of also. I was pretty lonely for years and now that isn’t the case.
are you hopd or pp?
 
HOPD is all about wRVU pellets
99214 + G2211 = 1.92 + .33 = 2.25
99204 + G2211 = 2.6 +.33 = 2.93
99244 + G2211 = 2.69 +.33 = 3.02

I do 15 minute follow ups and 30 minute new/consults so you can see the controlled substance med refills and follow ups where you're ordering procedures are actually more valuable per unit time.

I could probably cut my consult time to 20 minutes but I like my current flow.
and this, folks, is why we see all the mbb f/u patients in person and bill each time
 
HOPD is all about wRVU pellets
99214 + G2211 = 1.92 + .33 = 2.25
99204 + G2211 = 2.6 +.33 = 2.93
99244 + G2211 = 2.69 +.33 = 3.02

I do 15 minute follow ups and 30 minute new/consults so you can see the controlled substance med refills and follow ups where you're ordering procedures are actually more valuable per unit time.

I could probably cut my consult time to 20 minutes but I like my current flow.
my understanding is that 99244 is being phased out.

also, are you using the g2211 for everyone? or specific situations?
 
I just don't know how or why one would want to do med refills or follow-ups, unless perhaps it's a money-losing endeavor in HOPD.

Dumb it down for me.
so, in HOPD if you walk into a visit behind a midlevel you capture the RVU credit for the visit. Its called shared decision making. All you do is add an attestation at the end of the note. This does not occur in pp. In HOPD the best situation you could possibly hope for is having 2 midlevels, going into new pt visits behind them and getting the RVU credit, in between doing nothing but procedures in a hospital clinic setting all day. In this way you can see a whole bunch of news and do 25 procedures in a day easy.
 
so, in HOPD if you walk into a visit behind a midlevel you capture the RVU credit for the visit. Its called shared decision making. All you do is add an attestation at the end of the note. This does not occur in pp. In HOPD the best situation you could possibly hope for is having 2 midlevels, going into new pt visits behind them and getting the RVU credit, in between doing nothing but procedures in a hospital clinic setting all day. In this way you can see a whole bunch of news and do 25 procedures in a day easy.
this is the way
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just don't know how or why one would want to do med refills or follow-ups, unless perhaps it's a money-losing endeavor in HOPD.

Dumb it down for me.
I agree it’s often mindless, occasionally annoying, but one can efficiently burn thru these visits and charge for a 99214 for pretty good $/hr.

Theoretically, a mid level would take most of the low-hanging fruit and leave you the challenging patients.

Personally, I have PA working in my clinic concurrently, treating like a resident . I see the patient and cosign the note, so I get RVU credit. She also independently sees the follow ups when I’m in the procedure suite.
 
I agree it’s often mindless, occasionally annoying, but one can efficiently burn thru these visits and charge for a 99214 for pretty good $/hr.

Theoretically, a mid level would take most of the low-hanging fruit and leave you the challenging patients.

Personally, I have PA working in my clinic concurrently, treating like a resident . I see the patient and cosign the note, so I get RVU credit. She also independently sees the follow ups when I’m in the procedure suite.
My med refills are some of my favorite visits. Most are Butrans and tramadol, occasionally some legacy norco 20 MME or less. I probably have 3 of these a day.

Like you my follow-ups are 15 minutes. I'll ask a question about their dog or holiday and let them go on for 5 minutes while I finish up the charting. Usually the whole visit takes me 7 or 8 minutes so I can slow my pace or catch up if needed.

These visits are easy, highly productive, low stress and mental energy, and slightly social (yes even my 80 year old cat lady).
 
My med refills are some of my favorite visits. Most are Butrans and tramadol, occasionally some legacy norco 20 MME or less. I probably have 3 of these a day.

Like you my follow-ups are 15 minutes. I'll ask a question about their dog or holiday and let them go on for 5 minutes while I finish up the charting. Usually the whole visit takes me 7 or 8 minutes so I can slow my pace or catch up if needed.

These visits are easy, highly productive, low stress and mental energy, and slightly social (yes even my 80 year old cat lady).
8 minutes is an eternity.

me: did the MBB help?
patient: yes
me: see you in a week or 2 for the next one.

buh bye

templated note, 99214, next patient