Clinic Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyAZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for first or second year dental students: does your school provide after class hours in the Simulation lab (and what is your school) ??? I'm talking about with or without an instructor, just time to practice hand skills and techniques. Also, do most dental schools do a lot of waxing before an operative course and do you think this helps? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We did waxing last semester.....I spent about 5 hours a week last semester waxing. It didn't help at all when it came to working on amalgam restorations. It's a whole different ball game with that things.

At Pitt, Sim Lab is generally open from 4:30-10 and we had 4 hours a week to work during class with an instructor. I'd spend between 2-3 nights for 3 hours at a time there. But if you needed to do more, there's always the opprituinty. Usually at any school, it's open you just need to make time to use it.

yes, Columbia's preclinical lab opens from 8AM to 11PM on weekdays and opens from i believe 9AM to 6PM on saturdays and sundays. Normally, ur not going to get an instructor outside of normal lab time (although occasionally instructors will have office hours to check up ur stuff) but if u know the upperclassmen, u can always get help from them (great learning resource!)

as far as wax ups, i believe most schools have a wax up course during the 1st semester (mainly for learning the anatomy and occlusion of teeth as well as getting used to holding the handpiece and instruments) but u pretty much have to relearn everything once u start operative (especially after u start mounting ur typodont). u'll find class II cavity preps on maxillary teeth one of the most frustrating things ever

Members don't see this ad :)
preclinic labs at vcu are open 24 hours a day.. they may change next year.. but we just finished preclinic here... outside teachers not avaliable.. but we had plenty of upperclassman ta help us.. if you got to know one pretty well like i did -- it helps ALOT!... she was a great help for me, fixed pros would of been hell without her

btw.. in preclinic, you want the help of upper classman anyways cause they know how ivorine teeth work and what you need done to do well on practicals... --- its going to be a whole different bull game in clinic though i suppose.

Thanks for sharing. At my school (ASDOH) the Sim. lab is NOT open after class hours. We waxed for a entire week, so I guess that was supposed to be enough time to get our handskills down :) I'm just finding myself wishing that I could go back in the evenings to practice/finish projects started.