Clinical boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

Seemed a lot like the in-service exams - tons of out-there questions (but less pure rare cancers - more just difficult questions about things we know about), tons of easy questions (what is a double-blinded trial? what's the arms on B17?) and the rest sort of in the middle. Less questions that seemed like questions that were destined to be thrown out. Recalls helped with 10% of questions, and worth looking over for the confidence boost. Keep in mind that recalls have errors (these are people, not the key to the test) so confirm the answers. Read Hansen and Roach x 2 in the last few weeks, 10 recalls or so.
S

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the exam was pretty hard. I agree Recalls did not help much. But definately a lot of tough breast questions (aside from a few easy one). I am surprised they emphasized numbers and percentages so much more than testing application. A few radiobiology questions (easy ones). A few anatomy questions, and a lot of "out there" questions that I can't imagine you would have a way to study for.. maybe if you heard it once in a tumor board or in my case read a phamphlet on zevalin recently.

I read osler notes.. which helped a lot on peds, and head and neck. I would say know more anatomy for Head and Neck than spending time on small trials. The lung, GI and GU osler were really bad in Osler. Breast was way too long and low yield. Aside from that my old notes and Hansen. I would say Hansen is high yield, I would put less value on recall. Definitely the recent in-service were more on point. Eventhough there were no "rare GU" sites tested.

Crossing my fingers, but this was not just a simple exam that past residents have made it seem. Surprisingly I can't think of anything else I would have done different in terms of studying.

Last edited:
Seemed a lot like the in-service exams - tons of out-there questions (but less pure rare cancers - more just difficult questions about things we know about), tons of easy questions (what is a double-blinded trial? what's the arms on B17?) and the rest sort of in the middle.
S

I was surprised about the lack of true stats questions on there. They showed up way more often on the inservice.

I read osler notes.. which helped a lot on peds, and head and neck. I would say no more anatomy for Head and Neck than spending time on small trials.

Yeah Osler was great for those 2 sections (I had the '08 version and that was fine, except for staging). The amount of anatomy on the exam cannot be understated. Seriously, you've gotta know your anatomy.

Crossing my fingers, but this was not just a simple exam that past residents have made it seem. Surprisingly I can't think of anything else I would have done different in terms of studying.

Agreed. The only thing I would have done is not learn the new staging so well. I was so nervous about learning the differences in the new staging, yet very few questions ended up on the exam where there was any confusion with the older system. Oh well, I guess it will help for orals (assuming I passed today :D)

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to mention.. RadOnc Wikibook. Thanks to the guys for putting it together. It was my main source for trials and basic epi. There was one epi question. After reading the wikibook for trials, Hansen and Roach (the new edition) already seemed slightly outdated. Eventhough none of the trials I studied were actually on the exam.. perhaps it will help me become a better oncologist.

The orals are going to be a lot rougher... Makes me sick thinking about it.

Disappointing exam. Seemed like a lot of medonc type questions. Lots that had 2 answers that could have been correct ie I131 not used to treat ... medullary or Hurtle cell ca. What was up with the trial regarding pilocarpine versus submandibular gland transplant? Can't wait until our collge gets their act together and puts together a core curriculum, like most colleges do. Enough complaining I know but I think we have a right to ask for better at least for the $2700 we have dropped so far.

Disappointing exam. Seemed like a lot of medonc type questions. Lots that had 2 answers that could have been correct ie I131 not used to treat ... medullary or Hurtle cell ca. What was up with the trial regarding pilocarpine versus submandibular gland transplant? Can't wait until our collge gets their act together and puts together a core curriculum, like most colleges do. Enough complaining I know but I think we have a right to ask for better at least for the $2700 we have dropped so far.

Can't agree with you more. The feeling I got out of the test was disappointment, mainly in our credentialing body who thinks knowing these questions should be a criteria for board certification.