Clinical Data Entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

Is clinical data entry in any shape or form a good experience to have to med school? Since my research was canceled I was offered a data entry gig. I was told I'd learn a lot about diseases and the EMR system.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost anything is a good experience if you put a spin on it. I would write that it gave you a good insight on how hospitals operate, what is the administrative side of the medicine, and you are grateful for having had that opportunity because medicine is truly a team sport, and having this experience would help you work with administrative employees in future, and understand their concerns.
And what you said.

Reactions: 2 users
LizzyM has a quote where if you are close enough to smell patients, then it counts as clinical. A key thing to note (in my opinion) is that clinical experience doesn't have to occur in a hospital. Life guard, skate patrol, ski patrol I believe also counts. As the above poster said, it depends how you write your experience and the experience name. Don't oversell, but definitely don't undersell either!

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM has a quote where if you are close enough to smell patients, then it counts as clinical. A key thing to note (in my opinion) is that clinical experience doesn't have to occur in a hospital. Life guard, skate patrol, ski patrol I believe also counts. As the above poster said, it depends how you write your experience and the experience name. Don't oversell, but definitely don't undersell either!

I don't believe lifeguard, skate patrol or ski patrol counts as clinical

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe lifeguard, skate patrol or ski patrol counts as clinical
I don't know about that. I'm listening to a guy named Dr. Gray on YouTube (Medical School Headquarters) and he's saying that it can count towards clinical, as you are talking to would-be patients, providing first-aid help, waiting with them until more advanced medical assistance comes. Just because it doesn't occur in a hospital doesn't mean it is not clinical right? Just my .02 here. I welcome additional feedback on this!

I realize this isn't exactly clinical exposure but it's clinical data entry. I guess it won't make up for the other significant experiences I need, but I was wondering if this experience can be a meaningful one as M&L described it best that I'd get an understanding of operations of the hospital and such.

Reactions: 1 user