Clinical Experience in Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMSTP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a biomedical engineering student that hopes to get into an MD/PhD program. I have tons of research already in two neuroscience labs and I have shadowed a neurosurgeon. Plus, I have some non-clinical volunteering as a peer leader. Where can I find some clinical experience in Miami where I get direct-patient care experience (once COVID19 isn't a problem). I know scribing is good but I don't want to spend al day at computer logging in information for the doctor since that's not interacting with a patient. I don't care about getting paid so I'm fine volunteering at a hospital. I'm considering Nicklaus Children's Hospital to volunteer but I am open to other options. I tried Coral Gables hospital but they never got back to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I am a biomedical engineering student that hopes to get into an MD/PhD program. I have tons of research already in two neuroscience labs and I have shadowed a neurosurgeon. Plus, I have some non-clinical volunteering as a peer leader. Where can I find some clinical experience in Miami where I get direct-patient care experience (once COVID19 isn't a problem). I know scribing is good but I don't want to spend al day at computer logging in information for the doctor since that's not interacting with a patient. I don't care about getting paid so I'm fine volunteering at a hospital. I'm considering Nicklaus Children's Hospital to volunteer but I am open to other options. I tried Coral Gables hospital but they never got back to me.

Since Florida is really stringent with what you can/can't do without licensure and certification, theres not much you can do unless a private office is willing to take you under their wing. Right now I'd be surprised if anyone is taking on volunteers for the foreseeable future (even after everything opens up).

The cheapest/quickest route would be to get a phlebotomy certification (~$300, 1 day class) and draw blood as a tech. Another alternative could be to work at a research lab that has direct patient contact when conducting the research (UM has a lot of these kind of research groups). Getting anything right now in Miami is going to be a huge challenge because hospital systems right now have patient volumes in the toilet so if I were you I'd throw my hat into literally every basket (scribing included) just in case because it might be a few months before you see any response.

With regard to scribing, its what you make it out to be and if you show the initiative you can interact with patients/learn a lot. If you want to take off as much of the administrative load as possible just look for scribing opportunities in lower volume settings (ie IM subspecialties).

Members don't see this ad :)
The cheapest/quickest route would be to get a phlebotomy certification (~$300, 1 day class) and draw blood as a tech. Another alternative could be to work at a research lab that has direct patient contact when conducting the research (UM has a lot of these kind of research groups).

I'd argue phlebotomy and clinical research doesn't count as clinical exposure. I'd honestly say stocking gloves is a better experience than those.

A lot of these depend on things calm down once the pandemic is over. It sucks a lot these clinical jobs require certifications I don't really have time for but I could also do some clinical volunteering during my gap years. I plan to do either Mayo Clinic GREP or NIH IRTA Post Bacc. (whichever accepts me lol)

As an FYI, University of Miami is currently not allowing M1/M2s to shadow in the hospitals, so I assume it'll be a while before many other opportunities are available again to non-med students. You might be able to find hospitals or private docs outside of UMH/Jackson with lighter restrictions though.

(employment in an actual healthcare role would obviously be different than this though - those are essential roles!)

Thanks for the information. I wasn't planning to these experiences but when the fall semester starts but from it sounds like I just get the clinic staff done during my gap years.