Clinical experience, physician shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am a rising Sophomore at a college who is planning on going to a medical school.

As a part of the plan for future, I spent this summer and last two summers doing some volunteer works at a local clinic and nursing home. So, here are my questions:

1) I spent the summers of my junior and senior years of high school volunteering at a local nursing home (200+ hours, solely dedicated to interacting with the residents of the facility). Some people say that this experience is a bit too old to be considered by the medical school admission committee. Is it accurate?

2) Does the volunteer work such as the one that I described above (volunteering at a nursing home helping the elderly) help when it comes to the medical school admission?

3) I am spending this summer at a local practice (internal medicine), 35 hours per week, for a month (totaling 210 hours), doing mostly the PAPERWORK (and a little bit of patient interaction). I believe that I am learning a lot about what is going on in a real clinic, and there is a lot more than it seems over the counter, but is it ever gonna help me?

4) I am planning on spending next summer shadowing a doctor (an ophthalmologist). What are the things that I need to observe from him?

Thank you very much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I am a rising Sophomore at a college who is planning on going to a medical school.

As a part of the plan for future, I spent this summer and last two summers doing some volunteer works at a local clinic and nursing home. So, here are my questions:

1) I spent the summers of my junior and senior years of high school volunteering at a local nursing home (200+ hours, solely dedicated to interacting with the residents of the facility). Some people say that this experience is a bit too old to be considered by the medical school admission committee. Is it accurate?

2) Does the volunteer work such as the one that I described above (volunteering at a nursing home helping the elderly) help when it comes to the medical school admission?

3) I am spending this summer at a local practice (internal medicine), 35 hours per week, for a month (totaling 210 hours), doing mostly the PAPERWORK (and a little bit of patient interaction). I believe that I am learning a lot about what is going on in a real clinic, and there is a lot more than it seems over the counter, but is it ever gonna help me?

4) I am planning on spending next summer shadowing a doctor (an ophthalmologist). What are the things that I need to observe from him?

Thank you very much for your time!

First off, try not to bump after only 21 minutes, sometimes it takes a while for people to respond to threads

1) If you have continued at this same facility or one very similar doing basically the same thing in college, you can count it. Otherwise I would stay away from it except maybe the personal statement or secondaries that as for an autobiography from childhood.

2) Yes

3) Meh, I would try and find something else more interesting/more patient exposure, but it will be looked upon more favorably than just doing nothing this summer. - maybe someone else can chime in here.

4) You will figure it out as you go, but basically see how he interacts with patients and colleagues. See if he will sit down with you and discuss his career. Docs normally like to talk so he could go into why he got into medicine, how he chose his field, and now what he likes/dislikes about his practice. Also, I would not spend my entire summer shadowing one doctor. Try and find some other things to do and/or shadow different types of doctors.

Try getting clinical experience at a larger hospital setting, since you've already had exposure in smaller clinics. At hospitals you see the busier pace of medicine and how different medical professionals and teams work together.

Also pursue your other personal interests that may make you interesting/stand out to the admcoms.
Like leadership: captain/coaching/club officer
research
things you enjoy

don't be stressed out though, you've got time. explore and enjoy your college life too.