Clinical experience predominantly in 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SuzDPTapplicant

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cannot seem to find a thread concerning this topic, but my apologies if it has already been discussed elsewhere.

What are your thoughts on having a curriculum with the clinical experiences taking place predominantly in the 3rd year of the program versus scattered throughout all 3 years? Just hoping to get some different perspectives! Thanks!
 
In my program I had a 3 week clinical my first year, will have a 10 week clinical in March (2nd year) and 2 10 weekers my 3rd year. Honestly, the rotation my first year was somewhat a waste of time. Yes, any experience is good experience. However, I felt I was more of an observer and definitely didn't know enough to handle a case load. As a third year, you get the best chance to go to your clinicals and practice as close to an entry level PT as possible. That, IMO, is the most practical experience and probably why most programs structure clinicals like this.
 
Thanks for the reply! I was looking at having clinical experience early in the curriculum as a pro simply because it might be a needed break from classroom learning. However, I definitely see how third year clinicals would be the most beneficial. It's always great to get other perspectives so thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my program I had a 3 week clinical my first year, will have a 10 week clinical in March (2nd year) and 2 10 weekers my 3rd year. Honestly, the rotation my first year was somewhat a waste of time. Yes, any experience is good experience. However, I felt I was more of an observer and definitely didn't know enough to handle a case load. As a third year, you get the best chance to go to your clinicals and practice as close to an entry level PT as possible. That, IMO, is the most practical experience and probably why most programs structure clinicals like this.

Don't you go to Midwestern? At the interview there a couple months ago they said they now eliminated the 3 week clinical from 1st year because everyone thought it was a lot bigger pain than it was worth.
 
Don't you go to Midwestern? At the interview there a couple months ago they said they now eliminated the 3 week clinical from 1st year because everyone thought it was a lot bigger pain than it was worth.
yep, but I had the experience so I was sharing my opinion
 
One of the reasons I chose my program over my other top choice was because my program spreads the clinicals out more. In the second semester, we had a half day clinical once per week, and I thought this was really helpful in order to see how the material we were learning in the classroom applied in a clinical setting. It also gave us a little bit of hands-on experience with things like transfers and gait training, which got our "feet wet" before our first full-time clinical rotation. When I did my first full clinical rotation (in acute care, at the start of our second year), I was really glad we had done those half days, because I already felt comfortable with some basic skills. It was also REALLY great to take a break from classes and actually have evenings and weekends again for a couple months!
 
What are people's thoughts about international clinical sites? I've noticed that some schools let you do clinicals in other countries like Australia. I'm kinda bummed my school doesn't offer that.

Also, is it better to choose clinicals in places that seem like you would gain a great educational experience (i.e. Harvard Medical Center), or to do it in a place you want to potentially work at after you graduate?
 
I personally think international clinicals are a gimmicky way of trying to attract more students. You might learn some fantastic things, but what's to say the same techniques won't be present in a domestic clinic? Not to mention, you're spending time away from the healthcare apparatus in which you'll actually practice (think of all the experience you'll need with G-codes, Medicare notes, and visit requests).

I'm sure it's a great life experience, but I have a hard time seeing how an international clinical makes you more marketable as a new grad.
 
Completely agree with above. It would be a cool experience to live in another country for a period, but you aren't practicing PT in the US, which is where you will be working as a clinician. The amount of student clinical time is relatively short, so might as well get as much practice with how PT is practiced in the states (coding as mentioned above, etc.) as you can. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I heard PT knowledge/practice techniques vary greatly in some other countries. I would be concerned that you are practicing the wrong way to be a US clinician, if that makes any sense. To answer your other question, I wouldn't pick a clinical purely because you think you want a job there. What happens if a) you find out through working there that it isn't what you thought and you don't want to end up there or b) they don't offer you a job?? Go where you can get the best clinical experience that you can. I'm impressed that your school lets you pick your clinicals...we just get sent wherever the school sends us haha.
 
Yeah now that I think about it, I would prefer to receive my clinical education in the US since I will be practicing here. I can always use part of my salary as a PT to visit those countries :happy:

Wow I didn't know some schools choose the clinicals for you, I thought every school allows you to decide. For my program, we have to list our top 5 picks, and then we get assigned to one of those.
 
I can garuntee you that the experience of treating abroad- especially in a developing nation will change you as a clinician for the better. No you don't learn as much about documentation and insurance but you should be able to pick that up in a different clinical. If the opportunity comes- take it. I don't think anyone in my program regrets going any length of time they did
 
I can garuntee you that the experience of treating abroad- especially in a developing nation will change you as a clinician for the better. No you don't learn as much about documentation and insurance but you should be able to pick that up in a different clinical. If the opportunity comes- take it. I don't think anyone in my program regrets going any length of time they did
Yeah it sounds like it would be a good experience! However, I think I would prefer to do it as a short term part of the program (like how URI has that 2 week broadening experience), rather than during a clinical rotation. I believe my program had a 2 week trip to Ghana to help people there, which sounded like a really cool experience to me, but it has been cancelled due to the Ebola breakout 🙁