Clinical experience: volunteering vs paid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evoviiigsr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let's say that someone were to work at a clinic for 2 months (drawing blood, shadowing, etc) for 40 hours a week or so. Would it look better to medical schools if the person were not paid?

Members don't see this ad.

I could only assume so

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily but you are highly recommended to get volunteering experience also but two months of volunteering would be seen as "checking off your pre-med to do list" in the eyes of medical schools. So in my opinion take the job and get paid for it but do some volunteering whether it be in a clinic or not but do the volunteering long time. It will be a short investment into a better life standard.

schools "require" that you have "clinical experience." that doesn't necessarily mean you have to do it for free. if you can actually get paid to do work that gives you substantial clinical experience, more power to you.

Hey guys,

Let's say that someone were to work at a clinic for 2 months (drawing blood, shadowing, etc) for 40 hours a week or so. Would it look better to medical schools if the person were not paid?

[Not that I condone lying, but] how would AMCAS know whether or not you were paid?

Could the adcoms not contact the place and ask?

Sure. They could also call my 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Herr to find out if I really did get the blue ribbon for "best penmanship." But, like in your example, they probably won't.

Get paid for straight clinical work. Getting paid means you have more responsibility ... at least in the eyes of adcoms.

Shadow physicians directly as volunteer (not that you could get paid for shadowing). This will give you great insight to what lies ahead ... even though you might "see what doctors do" in the clinic as a volunteer/paid assistant, shadowing is more targeted ... and adcoms seem to dig it.

I can virtually guarantee they're not going to care.