Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Got a question. This summer I got a job as an OR Tech (I actually don't have a job title, just this fits the best). Basically, my job will consist of helping prep patients to go into the operating room, assisting with anything needed in the operating rooms (most retractor holding), and helping moniter patients post-op. I start training next week and it is a PRN postion. However, this is pretty much the only clinical experience I have going into the next application cycle. Will this be enough or will I catch flak from the adcoms for not having enough. I know I want to be a doctor, i've been around the field my whole life (my dad works in risk management) and i've seen what doctors do. Any advice you guys have would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

you could supplement it with time well spent with physicians. That is, shadow some doctors that are in fields you may be interested in. Try to do it more than a couple of times though, you want to be able to show ad committees you really know what you're getting into. I would say your job is a great start, but add some well thought out shadowing also. Also, make sure you can show some form of community service on a regular basis. Of course, if your stats are through the roof, some of my info becomes less important. Good luck to you.

DrThom said:
Hey Guys.

Got a question. This summer I got a job as an OR Tech (I actually don't have a job title, just this fits the best). Basically, my job will consist of helping prep patients to go into the operating room, assisting with anything needed in the operating rooms (most retractor holding), and helping moniter patients post-op. I start training next week and it is a PRN postion. However, this is pretty much the only clinical experience I have going into the next application cycle. Will this be enough or will I catch flak from the adcoms for not having enough. I know I want to be a doctor, i've been around the field my whole life (my dad works in risk management) and i've seen what doctors do. Any advice you guys have would be great.

I've had practically the same job for the past 4 years....it is what you make of it. If you are holding retractors, learn the procedures and surgical technique. Make sure you can converse in detail about the procedures with another surgeons. If you pull your load in the OR, surgeons will help you out a lot later on down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OR tech will be great exposure and may be plenty on the app. If you can supplement with shadowing more power to ya... One suggestion I'd make is check out the ER at the same hospital once you get your feet wet as an OR tech. You could PRN as an ER tech along with your time in the OR and you probably wouldnt need any extra certification. An ER tech position would expose you to LOTS of stuff, and together with experience in the OR, it would be more than most app's have.

I have been trying to get the same type of job in MA, and all the hospitals require some type of certification. It really sucks.