Clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourandtwo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that might count towards service of an underserved population, but I could be wrong. My "clinical experience" is working with special populations as well, but in more of a hygiene, give medicine, take blood pressure, etc. while in their home. And it sounds like most of my clients were a bit more disabled than yours. It sounds like really excellent service, but I'm not sure if the setting is right for clinical. It might come down to how you phrase it. I knew one adcom member who told me most things like yours could count, but it comes down to how you phrase it. Perhaps if you focus on how their impairments were a main obstacle in working with them (which I'm sure it was), and talk about clinical knowledge and applications you might have gained, but it still could be a stretch and I wouldn't totally bank on it. Just my two cents, hopefully someone who knows better can chime in.

I think that might count towards service of an underserved population, but I could be wrong. My "clinical experience" is working with special populations as well, but in more of a hygiene, give medicine, take blood pressure, etc. while in their home. And it sounds like most of my clients were a bit more disabled than yours. It sounds like really excellent service, but I'm not sure if the setting is right for clinical. It might come down to how you phrase it. I knew one adcom member who told me most things like yours could count, but it comes down to how you phrase it. Perhaps if you focus on how their impairments were a main obstacle in working with them (which I'm sure it was), and talk about clinical knowledge and applications you might have gained, but it still could be a stretch and I wouldn't totally bank on it. Just my two cents, hopefully someone who knows better can chime in.

Thanks! That honestly really makes sense- how I phrase it would be the difference maker. I think, then, tutoring students with learning disabilities would count more toward clinical experience than the homeless children. Do you have any thoughts on the clinical research analyzing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. 100% nonclinical.

When I was in college, I tutored students with learning disabilities. These disabilities ranged from ADHD, to having visual/auditory impairment, and Asperger's.

I also currently tutor homeless children in Los Angeles once a week.

Lastly, I worked as a Clinical Research Analyst (here's a link describing what a clinical research analyst is, link here)

I'm just wondering if these things could be considered clinical experience? Would clinical research analyst be categorized as research experience or clinical experience? Thanks for your help in advance!

Reactions: 3 users
You really need to be in contact with patients in order for it to count as clinical experience. Remember why they want you to do it: A physician's role is centrally focused on their interactions with the patient. that patient comes in different mental states, different bodily capacities, different ethnicity and ages...etc. Do you have enough experience interacting with patients in each one of those fields to feel confident you can devote your life to it?

If you are a clinical trials coordinator (run clinical trials) that TOTALLY counts, because it is interacting with patients at a high end level and providing a type of medicine. I know it counts because I have been a clinical trials coordinator for the past 2 years and was asked heavily during interviews, focusing on the effect it's had on my perspective of caring for patients. A monitor, not so much although you might be able to sell it. Pure data analysis? Unfortunately that's just numbers and words, not the experience of interacting with a patient. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user