Clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asckwan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools in the nation are best known for the clinical portion of their education? I know Baylor in Texas is quite rigorous with what they require to graduate. Something like 100 extractions, 50 crowns, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

asckwan said:
Does anyone know which schools in the nation are best known for the clinical portion of their education? I know Baylor in Texas is quite rigorous with what they require to graduate. Something like 100 extractions, 50 crowns, etc...

Arizona is a brand new school, and I'm in the first class to be in the clinic, but most of our clinical administrators are actually from Baylor (our Assistant Dean, the Dean of our Clinic, etc.).

I think our clinical portion here is very solid. Most of my classmates will easily surpass those number for extractions and crowns that you through out, if that gives you an idea of anything.

It is my opinion that our clinical education will be in the top 3 or 4 in the nation in terms of procedures done and the extent to which we've gotten to jump into dentistry. To be honest, I think our 3rd year alone gives us more clinical experience than 75% of the other schools give their students in the last two years combined.

Just my two cents...

ItsGavinC said:
Arizona is a brand new school, and I'm in the first class to be in the clinic, but most of our clinical administrators are actually from Baylor (our Assistant Dean, the Dean of our Clinic, etc.).

I think our clinical portion here is very solid. Most of my classmates will easily surpass those number for extractions and crowns that you through out, if that gives you an idea of anything.

It is my opinion that our clinical education will be in the top 3 or 4 in the nation in terms of procedures done and the extent to which we've gotten to jump into dentistry. To be honest, I think our 3rd year alone gives us more clinical experience than 75% of the other schools give their students in the last two years combined.

Just my two cents...

i will second that. though i am not an arizona student, but during my interview i spoke with students and saw first hand the lab and clinic. very impressive!

also, ASDOH is the only dental school in Arizona and there is a large indian population so the patient pool is HUGE!

to op: all the of the schools will prepare you, they are all highly regulated and have sertain requirements that you must fulfill (put intended) in order to graduate. in the end, there is nothing better then the experience you gain from the real world in your practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. I didn't even think about Arizona before this since I thought it was a public and with the whole 90% instate acceptance, it never even crossed my mind. Looks to be more out of state acceptance. I guess in the end your experience comes with how much you are willing to work right? Can you schedule as many patients as you wish if you want to exceed the requirements? Also, ItsGavinC, how does the scheduling work at AZ? Do you need to find your own patients, call them to schedule, etc or is it like Baylor where everyone has their own scheduler?

Is there any way to get in state tuition eventually if you go to Arizona? Their out of state tuition is out the roof, especially for a program that's just starting.

It's a private dental school so whether you're in-state or out, you all pay the same.

The one's that I have learned to have good clinical experience include Temple, Creighton, Oklahoma, UoP, and Louisville to name a few.

would it not be helpful if d-schools listed their clinical graduation requirements on their websites?

fightingspirit said:
would it not be helpful if d-schools listed their clinical graduation requirements on their websites?

I agree.

fightingspirit said:

If you ask most schools for this information they will give it to you. I think it is not put on most website as it is very easy to overwhelm applicants with information. If you have any questions about a schools curriculum, ask your interviewer. If they don't give you what you ask for (without a good reason), stay away!