1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Clinical Experience??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by khristich00, Dec 4, 2001.

1. khristich00

khristich00 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What exactly can be considered as clinical experience?? Currently, I work at a retail pharmacy as a pharmacy intern with plently of patient contact and interaction. I'm just wondering if this will look good to a med school? I plan to shadow a family practice MD and orthopaedic surgeon over christmas break and this summer. Previously, I have volunteered at a hospital and the county board of developmental disabilties.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I think that all sounds like clinical. But try to make the actual volunteering you do with a doc more than a christmas break. I don't know how long you worked in a hospital, but anything goes. As for the pharmacy job, if I were you I'd say I worked there as a way to make money, not so much clinical. The reason I say this is that if you say you worked in a pharmacay and consider it clinical exposure, then the question might be raised, "why didn't you go to pharmacy school"? But if you say u worked in a pharmacy as a way to make money ( a source of income) then u'd get away with it.

hope this helps

4. khristich00

7+ Year Member

See, that's the thing, I started out in pharmacy school, but I changed my major last year(currently a junior), I do have a good answer to why I didn't want to go the rest of pharmacy school and I'm actually hoping that this gets brought up at an interview.

5. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

well, what's your answer to why pharmacy over MD?

6. khristich00

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy, while a noble profession, just does not offer the same opportunites for patient care and patient intervention the medicine does. I would not feel as emotionally rewarded dispensing someone's med as I would actually taking an active role in diagnosing and prescribing. Basically, I think pharmacy would leave me unfulfilled and bitter after graduation. So many times at work, a patient has a question and a lot of the time the pharmacist will refer them to their Dr., this doesn't appeal to me, I want to answer their questions.

How's that sound?? :D

There are also some other reasons that have to do with the evils of working in a retail pharmacy that don't really have anything to do with why I prefer medicine to pharmacy.