Clinical Exposure Timing

Started by jlamacc1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jlamacc1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the bulk of my physician shadowing (~250 hours) the summer before I started college, and did mostly research and academic activities while in college (although I started volunteering/shadowing in a critical care unit a few weeks ago). Does anyone think this will negatively impact my application? I personally feel I've had PLENTY of exposure to medicine since middle and high school, but I wonder how MSTP adcoms will view this.
 
I didn't really do any physician shadowing until the same summer that I submitted the AMCAS, and it really didn't hurt me that much. As long as you can explain why you did things when you did and it sounds reasonable and plausible, you'll be fine -- and in fact, you might not even be questioned on why you did it "so early," in which case don't even bothering trying to explain why you haven't done more recently.