Clinical grades ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecars98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently at a state school, not T20, and interested in applying ortho. Had IM as one of my first clerkships and only passed. I heard honoring IM is important for competitive subspecialties like ortho so I wanted to know how badly this would hurt my app and if there's anything I can do to make up for it.

Edit: clinical grades are H/HP/P/F

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously honor as much as you can, but you can’t change what grade you already received. I wouldn’t give up on ortho from one pass. That would be overkill

Reactions: 1 users
I think the average number of honors to match ortho is like 3-4 clerkships?
Not honoring IM isn't ideal but not the end of the world.
I failed clerkship would be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously honor as much as you can, but you can’t change what grade you already received. I wouldn’t give up on ortho from one pass. That would be overkill
I think the average number of honors to match ortho is like 3-4 clerkships?
Not honoring IM isn't ideal but not the end of the world.
I failed clerkship would be tough.
Do programs consider the order that rotations are in when reviewing grades? I think if I had IM later I could have performed better but having it early on was difficult

Do programs consider the order that rotations are in when reviewing grades? I think if I had IM later I could have performed better but having it early on was difficult

Nope.
And not honoring IM is definitely not the end of the world for ortho.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently at a state school, not T20, and interested in applying ortho. Had IM as one of my first clerkships and only passed. I heard honoring IM is important for competitive subspecialties like ortho so I wanted to know how badly this would hurt my app and if there's anything I can do to make up for it.

Edit: clinical grades are H/HP/P/F
If you do continue the Ortho route, do consider taking IM AI in the first 4 blocks of the M4 year and honor it to show up on MSPE. That will showcase, that you had it first up, you learned, and H IM AI. It may mean sacrificing an away for that block. it's not the end of the world. H rest of rotation.

• Dislike
If you do continue the Ortho route, do consider taking IM AI in the first 4 blocks of the M4 year and honor it to show up on MSPE. That will showcase, that you had it first up, you learned, and H IM AI. It may mean sacrificing an away for that block. it's not the end of the world. H rest of rotation.
I've never heard of people doing this, is this usually something people do? Im also not sure how this will come across to programs.

I've never heard of people doing this, is this usually something people do? Im also not sure how this will come across to programs.
Your concern is valid. P for IM is going to stink. As you are concerned you posted this. also it‘s weitage higher then other clerkship grade. Also if you choose to dual apply at some point, it always will help. showing H in AI IM, that this P was a small blip which I overcsme. It is just hedging your bets. AI IM will be madatory rotation anyway. Doing in first 4 blocks is your choice, to show it up during application process.

Your concern is valid. P for IM is going to stink. As you are concerned you posted this. also it‘s weitage higher then other clerkship grade. Also if you choose to dual apply at some point, it always will help. showing H in AI IM, that this P was a small blip which I overcsme. It is just hedging your bets. AI IM will be madatory rotation anyway. Doing in first 4 blocks is your choice, to show it up during application process.
if you are interested in ortho do not do a sub-i in medicine unless you are interested in dual applying. your time is better spent doing an ortho sub-i.

Reactions: 4 users
I completely disagree with the advice of doing an IM sub-I. There is no time to do a sub-I in a field that is unrelated to ortho during those precious first few months of MS4.

As others have said, this is unfortunate, but not game over. You just need to step up your game going forward. You really need to honor surgery and crush step 2.

Last edited:
I completely disagree with the advice of doing an IM sub-I. There is no time to do a sub-I in a field that is unrelated to ortho during those precious first few months of MS4.

As others have said, this is unfortunately, but not game over. You just need to step up your game going forward. You really need to honor surgery and crush step 2.

Is there anything I can do when applying to indicate that IM was an early rotation which made it harder to honor, or should is it best not to bring it up?

Is there anything I can do when applying to indicate that IM was an early rotation which made it harder to honor, or should is it best not to bring it up?
Unfortunately you will have fellow applicants who had IM first and did honor, and that would be more of an excuse than a reason.

Tis in the past now, I know people who've matched and matched well in Ortho without honoring IM, they made up for it in other areas so it's not the end of the world (good research, good step, good connections/aways)

Clinical grades are incredibly subjective and extremely school dependent. Do the best you can but don't go crazy hunting for honors if it's hard at your school.

I know schools that only gives Honors to like 3-5 people out of 140 person class which I think is messed up.

Your MSPE will show the percentage of honors for IM that the program gave. If they gave 40% H and you have a HP, that might ding you a little. Make up for it by honoring everything else, have strong research, work your arshe off during away rotations, and get strong LOR. Shoot for the best S2 score possible like 265+. AOA is significant for ortho so if you can get it, that would give you a boost. These competitive matches are getting really tough. You have to go all-in and commit to ortho. If you have been a strong academic student throughout your life, you got this. If you have been average, good luck to you.

Definitely do not do the IM sub-I. That time is for ortho aways and they’d be more likely to ask why is this guy doing medicine rotations rather than be impressed by an honors grade in it.

It’s about the whole picture of your application not one rotation grade. For example if you honored every other rotation then this one grade in IM would hardly matter at all, so just do that.