Clinical Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chronicangina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently got a pass on psych rotation, but have two honors in ob and peds. I want to do peds in residency and would like to go to a top program. Will the pass hinder me in any way for this? I know it depends on other things too but will it matter that much? I know it sounds like a humble brag but i don’t have any guidance from anyone on what residencies care about

Members don't see this ad.

Recently got a pass on psych rotation, but have two honors in ob and peds. I want to do peds in residency and would like to go to a top program. Will the pass hinder me in any way for this? I know it depends on other things too but will it matter that much? I know it sounds like a humble brag but i don’t have any guidance from anyone on what residencies care about
lol at the "top program" comment that always shows up.

You've got 3/6 (I'm guessing?) grades back 2 of which were Honors. Peds is not very competitive. You'll be fine. As for everyone's favorite "wanna get into the top program" it depends on your overall application: Step scores, LORs, research/extracurriculars, networking, etc. In peds, you still have a good shot as those programs take an ungodly number of people every year and there are many "top" programs. Concentrate on doing well on other rotations, killing Step 2CK, and get amazing LORs from big people in the field.

Also, you should 100% know what residencies are looking for... if you don't, reach out to your peds dept and meet with your PD, Chair, associate chair, etc. to get intel... but also to introduce yourself and make connections. Dress well and bring your CV (esp if meeting in person for the first time... first impressions matter). Also reach out to previous class that matched into peds and get their advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical grades are so subjective. What will matter is how you rank up against your class i.e. if everyone in your class gets honors then its not really an accomplishment. More than anything though just focus on doing good on rotations and killing step II.