vfaulkerson
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I'm one year out of college and will be starting a 1.5 year master's program in bioinformatics this September - initially planned to get a PhD but was recently inspired to apply to med school. However, I have no (really 0) clinical hours, volunteering or paid, and am realizing that it will be very difficult to find these during COVID times. Two questions:
1) Does anyone have any advice or ideas about how to get clinical hours during COVID-19? For reference, I'm in the Boston area (right next to MGH but they're not taking volunteers atm). I'm young and healthy, not scared to get exposed (not living with family), and genuinely excited about the prospect of giving back during these hard times. But it seems like every program I can find has shut their doors (for good reasons) - have people found opportunities? Any suggestions would be so appreciated!
2) If I can't find a way to systematically work up to ~300 hours in this category, do you think it's worth applying to my target schools (all in T20)? If I delay, I would be applying 3 years out of college and would have to find a job for the ~1.75 years (Jan 2022-Sep 2023) post master's degree but before med school (seems a bit hard to find a good opportunity that will accommodate my exact schedule in that way, I feel like most places look for 2 year contracts).
All suggestions appreciated and thanks for your time!
I'm one year out of college and will be starting a 1.5 year master's program in bioinformatics this September - initially planned to get a PhD but was recently inspired to apply to med school. However, I have no (really 0) clinical hours, volunteering or paid, and am realizing that it will be very difficult to find these during COVID times. Two questions:
1) Does anyone have any advice or ideas about how to get clinical hours during COVID-19? For reference, I'm in the Boston area (right next to MGH but they're not taking volunteers atm). I'm young and healthy, not scared to get exposed (not living with family), and genuinely excited about the prospect of giving back during these hard times. But it seems like every program I can find has shut their doors (for good reasons) - have people found opportunities? Any suggestions would be so appreciated!
2) If I can't find a way to systematically work up to ~300 hours in this category, do you think it's worth applying to my target schools (all in T20)? If I delay, I would be applying 3 years out of college and would have to find a job for the ~1.75 years (Jan 2022-Sep 2023) post master's degree but before med school (seems a bit hard to find a good opportunity that will accommodate my exact schedule in that way, I feel like most places look for 2 year contracts).
All suggestions appreciated and thanks for your time!