Clinical hours question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalle001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked as a CNA for about a year and a half when I first started college. These hours can be considered as clinical correct? Also before I worked as a CNA I worked a year and a half as a Hab-tech(someone who works with patients who have a ID) at a home healthcare facility. Is this considered clinical as well?

Since I have a good amount of hours for clinical(assuming these do count as clinical) do you think it's okay to focus on volunteer and shadowing from here? Or will it look weird that I just stopped doing clinical hours?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you worked as a CNA and Hab-tech during college they will count as clinical hours. If you worked them during high school then they won't count.

Those clinical hours are great but you should try to get some volunteer clinical hours as well since adcoms like to see you work in healthcare on an unpaid basis showing your commitment.

As long as you worked as a CNA and Hab-tech during college they will count as clinical hours. If you worked them during high school then they won't count.

Those clinical hours are great but you should try to get some volunteer clinical hours as well since adcoms like to see you work in healthcare on an unpaid basis showing your commitment.

The Hab-tech started before college but after high school(I didn't start college until one year later) will that still count? And sounds good thank you! I have a little volunteer clinical hours working at flu shot clinics the home health facility I worked at has every year, but not a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hab-tech should count since its after high school graduation but just to be safe continue clinical volunteering. While you're doing that work on plenty of non-clinical volunteering, shadowing and research.

If you are really set on DO, then showing you care about the medically underserved population can actually help your app. You can try volunteering (or even working) in a free or low-cost healthcare facility. Maybe also volunteer in a non-medical capacity in the rural or inner-city population. Doing all this will help you answer the question "Why DO?" more easily in your secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
While the above poster is correct, it isn't necessary to show that you care about medical underserved community by working or volunteering there. I have four II this cycle so far and nowhere in my application mentions my desire or experience working with underserved populations.

You just have to show that you understand DO and that you want to practice as a DO.

While the above poster is correct, it isn't necessary to show that you care about medical underserved community by working or volunteering there. I have four II this cycle so far and nowhere in my application mentions my desire or experience working with underserved populations.

You just have to show that you understand DO and that you want to practice as a DO.

You have four what? Sorry I might be reading what you said wrong. Also how many hours of clinical, volunteering and shadowing do you think an applicant should have? Like I know there is not cut and dry numbers, but how many do you believe an applicant should have?

You have four what? Sorry I might be reading what you said wrong. Also how many hours of clinical, volunteering and shadowing do you think an applicant should have? Like I know there is not cut and dry numbers, but how many do you believe an applicant should have?

Four interview invites. My guess is that your stats are most important first. Your ECs come later.

I have 150 hours volunteering in a hospital and 100 hours of shadowing. I have over 1000 hours in volunteering in a tutoring center.

In my interviews this current cycle, most applicants dont have crazy ECs and just have good gpa and mcat. With good scores, youll get an interview.

Four interview invites. My guess is that your stats are most important first. Your ECs come later.

I have 150 hours volunteering in a hospital and 100 hours of shadowing. I have over 1000 hours in volunteering in a tutoring center.

In my interviews this current cycle, most applicants dont have crazy ECs and just have good gpa and mcat. With good scores, youll get an interview.

Thank you! If you don't mind sharing which schools have you received interview invites to and which state are you from?

Thank you! If you don't mind sharing which schools have you received interview invites to and which state are you from?

Im from nj, got interviews for both lecoms, ccom, and cusom so far. Im expecting more from other schools.

I have never heard of this requirement that you can't count clinical/volunteer hours while still in high-school. My in-state DO school active engages high-school students every hear to help persuade them to help and volunteer in their community even as early as middle school. It also doesn't sound very intuitive since they allow high school students to achieve college credit and AP hours to count towards medical school application. @Goro is this really a thing?

I think that some clinical experiences while in high school have to count for something!

I have never heard of this requirement that you can't count clinical/volunteer hours while still in high-school. My in-state DO school active engages high-school students every hear to help persuade them to help and volunteer in their community even as early as middle school. It also doesn't sound very intuitive since they allow high school students to achieve college credit and AP hours to count towards medical school application. @Goro is this really a thing?

@Goro I wanted to ask if you know a website I can use to find accurate information on DO schools? For example average scores, requirements a particular school may have, OOS acceptance? I've found some, but am not sure how accurate the information is and I can only seem to find a couple of the answers for each school I'm researching.

While high school clinical volunteering can help a bit, in my opinion it won't hold much weight. Many secondaries I've been filling out asks to list significant volunteering "since graduation from high school"

In addition to the above poster's link, this should also help
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_cib.pdf?sfvrsn=16

Thank you both! This maybe a stupid questioned I'm new to learning information on DO schools, but when applying for DO and MD do you apply for both on AAMC at the same time? If a person has done a couple retake courses will it appear that I'd have two gpas? I'm looking at applying to more DO then MD.

Thank you both! This maybe a stupid questioned I'm new to learning information on DO schools, but when applying for DO and MD do you apply for both on AAMC at the same time? If a person has done a couple retake courses will it appear that I'd have two gpas? I'm looking at applying to more DO then MD.
For DO you apply on AACOMAS. For MD you apply on AMCAS. For both you list all your retakes but AACOMAS will take your higher retake grade and AMCAS will average retake grades together. Therefore AACOMAS GPA should be higher than AMCAS

AAMCAS is the application service used for DO schools. AACOMAS is used for DO schools. AAMC is used for MCAT scores and all that other jazz.
If you have grade replacements you will factor those in on your AACOMAS (DO) application, in which they will fully replace that grade to increase your GPA. However, for AAMCAS (MD) application, if you did a class retake then it will be averaged in and not replaced as it would in AACOMAS (DO) application.