Clinical Internship vs. Research Assitant vs. Hospital Volunteer vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdwardElrich

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a pre-med student and I'm confused about what opportunity to take advantage of over the summer or even next term. My choices are:
- psychiatry internship (seems pretty damn cool but a 9-5 time commitment)
-research assistant (eh..)
-hospital volunteer (the most fun and easiest to take advantage of)
-somewhat independent research with a grant (competitive program but I hear it looks good?)

What interests me most is the internship and the volunteer opportunity sounds cool as well. However, I am worried that I "need" research to get into medical school. Which of the opportunities would look best on an application? I know I should do what I like best and feel an attraction towards but life isn't always that easy. Also, does being a research assistant count as having research experience? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm a pre-med student and I'm confused about what opportunity to take advantage of over the summer or even next term. My choices are:
-somewhat independent research with a grant (competitive program but I hear it looks good?)

What interests me most is the internship and the volunteer opportunity sounds cool as well. However, I am worried that I "need" research to get into medical school. Which of the opportunities would look best on an application? I know I should do what I like best and feel an attraction towards but life isn't always that easy. Also, does being a research assistant count as having research experience? Thank you.
Yes, being a research assistant is exactly what most premeds are talking about when they say they've "done research."

I'd like to know more about your other EC's you already have. Is this your first research opportunity? What clinical exposure do you already have? Couldn't you organize your time where you do hospital volunteering plus one of these activities? Most hospital volunteering is just one day a week for like 4 hours.

Do what you love! No, you DO NOT need research to get into med school!!!! (well...unless you want to go for MD/PhD)
It is way better to sit in an interview talking about what you've done that you are passionate about than rambling about some research projects that you have no clear ideas of what is going on...The interviewers can tell the difference...believe it or not

go with something that you truly enjoy! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, both of you. I think it's a good idea to couple volunteering with either the research assistant opportunity or or the clinical internship (depending which one I get into).

I'm a first year student so I don't have too many other extra-circulars.

Also, does being a research assistant pass for even the more prestigious medical schools? I know getting into ANY medical school is hard as **** but a guy can always dream, can't he? :)

Thanks, both of you. I think it's a good idea to couple volunteering with either the research assistant opportunity or or the clinical internship (depending which one I get into).

I'm a first year student so I don't have too many other extra-circulars.

Also, does being a research assistant pass for even the more prestigious medical schools? I know getting into ANY medical school is hard as **** but a guy can always dream, can't he? :)
Yes, being a research assistant is fine. It's more important what you do with it. Just holding the position is about as low on the totem pole as you can go. See LizzyM's post here

If I were you, I would do research sometime before applying to medical school. ~75% of successful applicants were involved in research. That number is >90% at the top schools. I don't have a strong opinion about what you do this particular summer though, as the activities you are considering are all good.