Clinical MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeymouse93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my research on graduate programs, I came across an MSW program in my area. I contacted them and they told me the only track is clinical. However, I was reading some threads on here that said a program can claim to be clinical, but not have many clinical or theory-oriented classes. So, I have uploaded a snapshot of the degree plan. Can someone with more experience let me know if this program is clinical enough? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MSW.PNG
    MSW.PNG
    112.7 KB · Views: 102
Am I right in noticing that the program doesn't have any research classes? Really? That kinda makes me sad. From a first glance it looks like there is a lot of clinical classes. Like freudianslipper said I'd find out what those electives are, though my guess is that they are population specialty classes.

The first year of an MSW program is always going to be a lot of systems theory. It's mandated by the CSWE. see if you can peep out the course descriptions for the clinical classes in a course catalog. I had classes that I didn't think would be clinical in nature, but in one I still received training in MI from a certified trainer.

I think, from hearing criticism from other professions on these boards, the one thing pointed out over and over again is lack of diagnostic skills training. I made sure the program I chose had classes that address that. In my program they are electives, but I'm taking them this summer.

Also ask about additional opportunities outside of the classroom. Like I'm participating in an interdisciplinary student team, and our program had additional stipends for health social work -- and a strong health social work program and activities. I'm not talking about the graduate association of social workers either heh.

Several other MSW students have said that your practicum will make or break you. In a way, this is true. If you want clinical instruction make sure you go somewhere that is only mental health or you will be doing lots of other stuff. No hospital work etc. even at our local inpatient psych hospital the student is basically working as a case manager doing discharge planning.

Find out where they would send you on practicum -- or field instruction it looks like it's called at that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my research on graduate programs, I came across an MSW program in my area. I contacted them and they told me the only track is clinical. However, I was reading some threads on here that said a program can claim to be clinical, but not have many clinical or theory-oriented classes. So, I have uploaded a snapshot of the degree plan. Can someone with more experience let me know if this program is clinical enough? Thanks!

Your concern is unfounded. Since World War 11, 62% of all mental health services in the U .S. have been provided by Clinical Social Workers. Social Workers serve as officers in all branches of the military. All hospitals must have Clinical Social Workers on staff. Social Workers are employed in hospitals, schools, jails, prisons, colleges as well as all Medical Schools in the U.S. I am an LCSW with a practice in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles. I have taught in two Ph.D. Phychology Programs: Pepperdine University and Wright Institute. I have Post Graduate Training in Child Psychiatry at Harvard University School of Medicine. Currently, I am the largest provider of coaching for "disruptive physicians" in the nation. Google me.

Course content can vary a lot between programs, even between courses that are called the same thing, and electives could compose a lot of your clinical training, so this course catalog doesn't seem too useful. "Advanced Seminar in Clinical Social Work Practice," for instance, could be almost anything, and different sections might be on different topics. Maybe the school has a more detailed/current set of course descriptions that they could email you.

Goobernut's advice is good. I'll add that you might want to go on LinkedIn and see what graduates of the program have to say about it.
Am I right in noticing that the program doesn't have any research classes?
I see one research class ("Social Work Research Foundations," fourth from the top). For some reason, I thought two 3-credit research courses were required per the CSWE. Or maybe my school just happened to require two? Too lazy to look it up.

Reactions: 1 user
*UPDATE*
I was e-mailing the adviser and she stopped replying when I asked about the clinical electives. I went ahead and e-mailed a different adviser. This is the list she sent me:
SOW5990 DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE
SOW5991 PLAY THERAPY
SOW5992 SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE IN MILITARY
SOW5993 EMERGE JAPAN
SOW6991 UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
SOW6990 Grief and Loss
She said "These are just a few of the electives we offer."
I replied and asked her for the full list.
She said ,"Here it is." (implying it was somewhere on the e-mail)
And I replied, "Was it an attachment? I did not see it."
She said,
"The courses that I listed are the electives we offer. Our program provides all graduate students with everything necessary to become an LCSW.
This is one of our graduates: (inserted private practice website)"
Anyways... What do you guys think about the electives?

That doesn't sound very clinical. To me clinical would be referring to evidenced based treatments or bio-psycho-social constructs. I don't see anything that leads me to think it would. Play Therapy or Grief and Loss could fit that bill, but that depends on the curriculum and instructor.