Clinical Neurophysiology from psych

Started by zenmedic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zenmedic

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. PGY4 psych resident with a question for you all. I recently learned that many clinical neurophys fellowships take psych residents. I dont think psychiatrists that complete the fellowship can sit for board certification via ABPN, but they can via ABCN. If a motivated psych resident completed this pathway, how realistic would it be to find a remote job reading EEGs? One of the things I miss most from psych is imaging and more "hard" science, and the idea to be able to incorporate this in a non patient facing way I think would be great way to balance other endeavors.
 
Very unlikely. Even if you can obtain CNP certification through ABCN, you will have significant difficulty securing a CNP fellowship in the first place. Now assumed you were able to complete 1 year in CNP fellowship and ABCN certification, I doubt any company would be willing to hire non-neurologist for their remote EEG positions.

Have you looked into interventional psychiatry fellowships? Maybe something to look into if your residency does not expose you to as much neuromodulation.