clinical observership in Canada.

Started by Prince_211
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prince_211

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, how are you all!

I'm a third year Medical student from Saudi Arabia. I've been trying to get an observership in Neurosurgery all over the Canada, but most of them require an "Faculty sponsor". Can someone please explain what it means?

And how do medical Students generally apply for Clinical observerships and Electives?
 
Hi, how are you all!

I'm a third year Medical student from Saudi Arabia. I've been trying to get an observership in Neurosurgery all over the Canada, but most of them require an "Faculty sponsor". Can someone please explain what it means?

And how do medical Students generally apply for Clinical observerships and Electives?
Hello.
IMGs can secure official elective experience through AFMC. Google AFMC student portal.
Certain places are lottery based.
As for observerships, they are generally secured through personal connections unfortunately. I had to ask a friend who did an observership with another physician previously if he can linked me to that physician. However, I think they got the observership in the first place through their physician parents and emailing random physicians. I think what they mean by faculty sponsor is that you need someone to agree to supervise you.
 
These are two things I know - Observerships have no affiliation with the University of Toronto and observers do not register with the postgraduate medical Education (PGME) Office.