JackFruitLover said:
Do clinical pharmacists have opportunities to work overtime during weekends like retail pharmacists? Or do clincial pharmacists generally work 9 to 5 from monday to friday?
Yeah; you generally rotate/draw straws/come up with a fair way to distribute weekends and a few empty night shifts. Like anything else, the lower you are on the totem pole, the more likely you are to get said shifts. Of course, you are duly compensated; I imagine overtime pay + evening/night differential is pretty nice. The only 9-5 inpatient pharmacists (more like 7-4) are the admin, ICU people, and really senior people, and even then, you still see a lot of them on weekends/evenings.
Now that I think about it, if anything, hospital pharmacists should have more opportunities at overtime. In retail you only get overtime if someone calls out/gives up a shift, or if it's a holiday...but that's only working 8-12 hours a day, unless you work at a 24 hr pharmacy. Hospitals generally don't close, so as a result, you have day/evening/night/swing shifts to pick up.
Oh yeah, and I'm sure who you work for is a big factor. Since I'm sure my hospital makes too much money, and it's a nonprofit, not to mention understaffed, they tend to not be pennypinchers regarding overtime. But if you work for say, a for-profit, I'm sure they wouldnt be too keen on time and a half.