clinical pharmacist's impact

Started by Deja
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deja

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any recent articles on the positive impact that a clinical pharmacist or specialty pharmacist have in the hosiptal? preferably a research in a journal with high impact factor.... I found articles that showed insignificant impact maybe i just don't know how to search for em

EDIT: I'm starting to find them now... found some articles about clinical pharmacist now trying to find more on specialty ones 🙂
 
Last edited:
Is there any recent articles on the positive impact that a clinical pharmacist or specialty pharmacist have in the hosiptal? preferably a research in a journal with high impact factor.... I found articles that showed insignificant impact maybe i just don't know how to search for em

EDIT: I'm starting to find them now... found some articles about clinical pharmacist now trying to find more on specialty ones 🙂

What sort of impact ? Like economic ? Look for example into inappropriate stress ulcer prophylaxis in the ICU and the cost savings per year in hospitals where stricter adherence to guidelines are implemented, it's astonishing. I did a presentation on this back in the day, but I am not giving out any more.
 
What sort of impact ? Like economic ? Look for example into inappropriate stress ulcer prophylaxis in the ICU and the cost savings per year in hospitals where stricter adherence to guidelines are implemented, it's astonishing. I did a presentation on this back in the day, but I am not giving out any more.

That is an oxymoron. All true MICU patients should have stress ulcer prophylaxis and if you read the most recent data in SCCM, PPIs are superior to BID H2 blockade in the ICU setting.

To answer the initial question, clinical pharmacists are fabulous. They round with us on the MICU team and they catch many errors and offer meaningful advice on a number of topics from drug choice to doasges to interactions with other therapies etc etc. You guys are a fundamental part of a multidisciplinary ICU team IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is an oxymoron. All true MICU patients should have stress ulcer prophylaxis and if you read the most recent data in SCCM, PPIs are superior to BID H2 blockade in the ICU setting.

To answer the initial question, clinical pharmacists are fabulous. They round with us on the MICU team and they catch many errors and offer meaningful advice on a number of topics from drug choice to doasges to interactions with other therapies etc etc. You guys are a fundamental part of a multidisciplinary ICU team IMO.

Well, I am just a lowly student, so I could be wrong but when I was rotating through ICU this summer, the new guidelines havent come out yet ( are they out now, is that the data you are referring to ?), but the old guidelines were pretty specific that not every icu patient is a candidate for SUP. At least that's how we were taught at my run-of-the-mill school.

i guess I should have rephrased and suggested looking into inappropriate SUP in the hospital in general - nearly everytime patient gets transferred the team that takes over never Dces the SUP, so you see these patients on the floor on SUP that should not be for weeks and no therapy is obviously without harm.
 
That is an oxymoron. All true MICU patients should have stress ulcer prophylaxis and if you read the most recent data in SCCM, PPIs are superior to BID H2 blockade in the ICU setting.

To answer the initial question, clinical pharmacists are fabulous. They round with us on the MICU team and they catch many errors and offer meaningful advice on a number of topics from drug choice to doasges to interactions with other therapies etc etc. You guys are a fundamental part of a multidisciplinary ICU team IMO.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the patients who truly need stress ulcer prophylaxis shouldn't get it, but there are a large number of patients who are simply in the ICU for one reason or another (pending bed transfer, requiring BiPAP, etc.) who don't otherwise qualify. Once you get out of the ICU, ~50% of patients in any given hospital will be on a PPI for one reason or another - I think that might be what is being referred to (i.e., stress ulcer prophylaxis when it is clearly not indicated).