Clinical Psych PhD App Increase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_cigar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I keep seeing a lot of information that clinical psych programs are seeing a huge increase in applications this cycle. I'm curious - if you are on an admissions committee, is this anecdotally true for your program so far?
If there is a huge increase, do you think this will translate to competitiveness as well? My assumption is that there are likely last-ditch applicants that might not be well-prepared. It takes years to become competitive. Interested to hear the thoughts of professionals in the field!

Members don't see this ad.

If there is an increase, as long as a proportion of those extra apps are competitive, there will be increased competition. Programs are unlikely to add positions based on an increase in apps. If anything, with budgets tanking nationwide, cutting back on positions is more likely in the current climate. It'll be interesting to actually see the numbers once they are available.

Reactions: 4 users
Not on admissions committee, but there's been talk of application numbers going up. University of Georgia & University of Florida come to mind... I think I saw it on Twitter? Someone from Penn State said they had 700 applications already for their clinical program.

• Wow
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, while our numbers have always increased yearly, there is a huge reported jump for this cycle so far.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
There's been a large jump in applications across the board, graduate and undergraduate. I'm an alumni interviewer for my undergraduate alma mater and we have been SLAMMED with applications this year. One of my close friends is a PhD student in a top program and does work/study with admission processing, and she noted a similar increase. Honestly, I think we're seeing the same thing as when 2008 rolled around - folks are unemployed, they're frustrated and want to move their lives along, and higher education is a way to do that. As for undergrad, I do think a lot of kids have more time on their hands with virtual school and are able to submit more (both quantitatively more and qualitatively better put together) applications.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone,

I keep seeing a lot of information that clinical psych programs are seeing a huge increase in applications this cycle. I'm curious - if you are on an admissions committee, is this anecdotally true for your program so far?
If there is a huge increase, do you think this will translate to competitiveness as well? My assumption is that there are likely last-ditch applicants that might not be well-prepared. It takes years to become competitive. Interested to hear the thoughts of professionals in the field!
I've had a huge jump in the number of folks who reached out to me pre-application submission this year.

As a total aside related to pre-application e-mails, don't ask for a zoom call from professors. We will initiate that if we are interested. Including your CV is a way to entice that, amongst people who do it and with competitive candidates. We can't accommodate 40 people asking for individual meetings to describe our lab. I've never had that many people do this before, but it must be advised somewhere.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

Nope, not a wild increase over here. BUT my program is one of the few clinical psych PHD programs (I think 8% nationwide) still requiring GRE scores this year (don't get me started as to why....)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Nope, not a wild increase over here. BUT my program is one of the few clinical psych PHD programs (I think 8% nationwide) still requiring GRE scores this year (don't get me started as to why....)
I'd rather have GRE as optional to avoid shortchanging applicants of potential information to help them. I'm cognizant of how hard it is to get certain experiences at certain types of schools (SLAC) and for certain types of students (non traditional or first gen). I wish we were allowing this. I'm certain I'll flip past someone good because of this at some point and I hate it.

Wow, if students are applying more primarily b/c the GRE is not required then those students are wasting their application fees.

Wow, if students are applying more primarily b/c the GRE is not required then those students are wasting their application fees.
This is why I'm really curious to know how much competitiveness increases. Having less barriers to applying is great, but you still need to be well-prepared otherwise.

Yep: don't have official numbers yet, but we already had more than we did last year by Thanksgiving, and you can imagine how many come in right at our 12/1 deadline.

This is why I'm really curious to know how much competitiveness increases. Having less barriers to applying is great, but you still need to be well-prepared otherwise.
I wouldn't worry about the increased numbers. My only concern is if applicants are applying to more schools than previous years. Meaning, if the top tier candidates are applying (and interviewing) across more schools than they are taking away interview spots from other capable applicants.

Though, I am assuming almost all interviews will be virtual this cycle. So, maybe more students getting to interview. I am imagining virtual walking tours of labs and departmental clinics.

Asked around some colleagues that are also confirming numbers north of 700 for top tier programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about the increased numbers. My only concern is if applicants are applying to more schools than previous years. Meaning, if the top tier candidates are applying (and interviewing) across more schools than they are taking away interview spots from other capable applicants.

Though, I am assuming almost all interviews will be virtual this cycle. So, maybe more students getting to interview. I am imagining virtual walking tours of labs and departmental clinics.

Asked around some colleagues that are also confirming numbers north of 700 for top tier programs.

Wow. Those are really large numbers. I guess we will have to see what the next few years bring. 700. Just. Wow.

I am reviewing apps and also know faculty in other clinical programs. Most people's apps are up, less so among those still requiring GRE so I do think that is a factor. As others have said, it probably also has to do with not having to travel for interviews in most cases and uncertainty about the economy.

As far as data- some of ours are still being processed after our 12/1 deadline but eyeballing it I'd say we're up 20% on last year for sure and if some stragglers with late letters/transcripts get their stuff in it could be 50%. My lab has nearly 3x as many apps as it had last year (it goes up a bit year to year, most years, but this is astounding). I have only started to skim them so I don't yet know if they are more or less competitive than usual.

• Wow
I am reviewing apps and also know faculty in other clinical programs. Most people's apps are up, less so among those still requiring GRE so I do think that is a factor. As others have said, it probably also has to do with not having to travel for interviews in most cases and uncertainty about the economy.

As far as data- some of ours are still being processed after our 12/1 deadline but eyeballing it I'd say we're up 20% on last year for sure and if some stragglers with late letters/transcripts get their stuff in it could be 50%. My lab has nearly 3x as many apps as it had last year (it goes up a bit year to year, most years, but this is astounding). I have only started to skim them so I don't yet know if they are more or less competitive than usual.
If you have a spare moment in the future, could you comment on the competitiveness of these apps? For example, do you think a lot of people were applying on a whim and not necessarily applying for fit? These numbers seem insane to me!

UNC is reporting 980 applications for their clinical program alone this cycle! I'm super glad admissions are more accessible, but as an applicant it sucks. This process was already competitive enough!

• Wow
UNC is reporting 980 applications for their clinical program alone this cycle! I'm super glad admissions are more accessible, but as an applicant it sucks. This process was already competitive enough!

If the ratios match up like they used to generally, a good 50-75% of those are eliminated off the top.

Lots of virtue signaling on twitter from faculty in the past few days. Comments akin to the following: Oh, so many wonderful students applying and I want them all to be accepted.

If you have a spare moment in the future, could you comment on the competitiveness of these apps? For example, do you think a lot of people were applying on a whim and not necessarily applying for fit? These numbers seem insane to me!
I will try to remember to! I'm going to be buried in these apps for a little while though!

Lots of virtue signaling on twitter from faculty in the past few days. Comments akin to the following: Oh, so many wonderful students applying and I want them all to be accepted.
Why do you think this is a bad thing for faculty to say? Just curious.

I will try to remember to! I'm going to be buried in these apps for a little while though!
Thank you!!! Good luck with reviewing everything!

Speaking as a recent applicant, it felt kind of patronizing.
To piggy back off of this, it would have been great to have mayyybe one week of feeling confident in my application before the information was shared by programs. I felt pretty good about my chances this year, I've been working super hard to become a better applicant, and now I feel like the rug was pulled out from under me 🤷‍♀️ it also sucks, b/c usually profs just say "oh, everyone is so great, so its not your fault" which isn't helpful. I wish applicants got more tangible feedback about how to be better.

Speaking as a recent applicant, it felt kind of patronizing.
Can definitely see how that is patronizing.
To piggy back off of this, it would have been great to have mayyybe one week of feeling confident in my application before the information was shared by programs. I felt pretty good about my chances this year, I've been working super hard to become a better applicant, and now I feel like the rug was pulled out from under me 🤷‍♀️ it also sucks, b/c usually profs just say "oh, everyone is so great, so its not your fault" which isn't helpful. I wish applicants got more tangible feedback about how to be better.
I agree with this. I know it’s probably near impossible for faculty to give feedback to everyone, but it would be SO helpful to see areas in which we could improve for future applications.

Hard to do, as for the applicants weeded right away, the answer is usually that their GPA sucks and/or they have zero meaningful research experience. After that, it's tough for a faculty member to provide that feedback for several dozen applicants in what is already one of the busiest times of the year for them.

Hard to do, as for the applicants weeded right away, the answer is usually that their GPA sucks and/or they have zero meaningful research experience. After that, it's tough for a faculty member to provide that feedback for several dozen applicants in what is already one of the busiest times of the year for them.
For sure, I definitely understand it would be near impossible for that to happen. A girl can dream! I did have one faculty member take time to provide some detailed feedback last cycle and it was so helpful, but I know it's not something most profs have time for.

Why do you think this is a bad thing for faculty to say? Just curious.
I did not place a judgment on it.

My statement did mean to communicate that I do not support the practice. However, I understand the reasons why people virtue signal and how Twitter is an effective vehicle for that.

I wish applicants got more tangible feedback about how to be better.
This is really the responsibility of undergraduate mentors, imo. Anecdotally, I think students get the feedback and often ignore it.

I was going to say what DynamicDidactic just mentioned. I've noticed a lot of students receive feedback, do not like what they hear, and continue anyway. Additionally, many undergraduate advisors are not always in the know about what a clinical psych program is/means. Pretty difficult for it to fall on faculty members, who already have their own students, job responsibilities, and lives to mentor another 100 students a year in their career choices.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll chime in about the fact that there are definitely people who are seemingly immune to feedback. Definitely had more than one case of underachieving undergrad lab assistants (late on assigned tasks, late cancellations of their lab sessions, did the BARE minimum, etc) who ask for letters. In almost every case, informed that their letters of rec would not be good, still asked for those letters. When I talk about a lot of apps not being competitive in the first place, these are in that category. And there are a lot of people like this.

I'll chime in about the fact that there are definitely people who are seemingly immune to feedback. Definitely had more than one case of underachieving undergrad lab assistants (late on assigned tasks, late cancellations of their lab sessions, did the BARE minimum, etc) who ask for letters. In almost every case, informed that their letters of rec would not be good, still asked for those letters. When I talk about a lot of apps not being competitive in the first place, these are in that category. And there are a lot of people like this.

Good thing these people who are immune to feedback never post here.

• Haha
Last year, my husband tried to have that convo with an RA who scored in the 9th percentile on the GRE. She applied anyway.

• Wow
I saw a number of posts yesterday from folks at large, top tier universities with insane numbers of applications (e.g., UNC clinical with nearly 1000 for 9 slots) this year supporting the original observation made by OP. Numbers at my program (counseling) are doubled from what they were last year and the year before. At the same time, it appears that this is not universal. I suspect the increase is far more complicated. In speaking with TDs who have discussed this with CUDCP and more broadly with other TDs have commented to me about how the change is more reflective of GRE requirement (those that waived GRE saw the biggest boost, those that didn't got about the same number).

Edit: I spoke too soon. the preliminary numbers of applicants was incorrect and we have, in fact, doubled. editted above to reflect this. Still agree with serious applicant numbers points.

Last edited:
I will be shocked if the increase in applications is actually an increase in serious applications. They ticked up in 2008-2009 too, but everyone I spoke to indicated it was mostly junk applications from people who were out of work and figured they would try and go back to school, not necessarily people who had done the groundwork to get INTO school or even necessarily had anything more than a passing interest in pursuing psychology because "What the heck, I like talking to people." I imagine we're seeing that on steroids now, with everyone in the service/entertainment industry who majored in psychology and is now out of work saying "what the heck" and submitting despite zero research experience and framing their 10 years of dealing with difficult customers as "clinical." I get why they're doing it and its not a judgment on them....it just isn't going to work.

More applications = more noise in the system so it kinda stinks and I'm sure some applications are good, but I wouldn't be super-worried if you are applying this year just because of the increased number.

Reactions: 7 users

You can always go with your backup plan of running a burger restaurant! Sorry, had to. ;)

I agree that a lot of these are probably not competitive applications but people going "ooh, clinical psych sounds cool." Still, those numbers are dumbfounding!

• Haha
More applications = more noise in the system so it kinda stinks and I'm sure some applications are good, but I wouldn't be super-worried if you are applying this year just because of the increased number.
This.

Students who follow advice on this forum will be the most competitive and will, even with increases, continue to outshine other applicants. The advice we give here is tough and difficult at times, but it works.

I’m slightly surprised by these numbers. I ended up NOT applying this cycle because many of the faculty I was interested in working with were not taking students (due to pandemic or otherwise).

I’m slightly surprised by these numbers. I ended up NOT applying this cycle because many of the faculty I was interested in working with were not taking students (due to pandemic or otherwise).
Which means you're probably way ahead of the game.

So many people apply based on factors that convey a poor fit (e.g., prestige of the institution, geography, family/friend/partner proximity), but don't realize that they're undercutting their chances.

Attachments

• 1607047979348.png
    1607047979348.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 121
Ended up not applying because I want to get more experience on my resume for a more competitive application, but wow. I wonder what the number will be like next year.

Is there a known website that will reveal how many applications each program received, or something like that? I applied this cycle and am super curious to know how many applications those programs got!

I had to cut quite a few from my list for this reason, but that also makes me wonder if a lot of these applicants have poor fit with the POIs
Is there a known website that will reveal how many applications each program received, or something like that? I applied this cycle and am super curious to know how many applications those programs got!
Clinical programs will include this data in their Student Outcomes and Admissions Data next year I'm sure, otherwise I don't know where else it would be.

It will be updated on each programs website next year sometime as those programs do the APA-required updates, but there isn't a unified website across all programs.

Sounds like the application fees in aggregate can open up an additional funded spot at some of these programs. Only half kidding.

• Haha
Our terminal masters program has also seen a big jump in applicants, although its hard to separate the potential impact of the pandemic from the impact of the training grant (and associated student funding) that we received this year.

On the flipside, University of Montana's Clinical PhD program is just not taking anyone this year, period. Department of Psychology (IIRC, they lost like 3 faculty lines due to COVID).

Michigan State's program is also forgoing accepting this year. I'd imagine there are more than these two programs putting things on hold for a year.

" Based on the uncertainty of COVID-19's impact on higher education, our department has made the difficult decision to suspend Admissions for the Fall 2021 cycle. MSU as an institution has chosen to prioritize student, faculty, and staff health this year, including cancelling in-person classes. This commitment includes helping our current graduate students thrive during this uncertain and difficult time and the times that are likely to come. This decision to suspend graduate admissions is temporary and does not reflect a decreased commitment to graduate training or admitting new students in the future; rather, it reflects our continued commitment to the health, safety, and financial stability of the graduate student body. We strongly encourage you to check back at our department website to learn about current initiatives and also plan for your application in future years. We also encourage you to be in touch with our faculty to discuss their research and explore your interest in MSU. Stay healthy and well, and we hope to have the opportunity to meet you in the future. "

Michigan State's program is also forgoing accepting this year. I'd imagine there are more than these two programs putting things on hold for a year.

" Based on the uncertainty of COVID-19's impact on higher education, our department has made the difficult decision to suspend Admissions for the Fall 2021 cycle. MSU as an institution has chosen to prioritize student, faculty, and staff health this year, including cancelling in-person classes. This commitment includes helping our current graduate students thrive during this uncertain and difficult time and the times that are likely to come. This decision to suspend graduate admissions is temporary and does not reflect a decreased commitment to graduate training or admitting new students in the future; rather, it reflects our continued commitment to the health, safety, and financial stability of the graduate student body. We strongly encourage you to check back at our department website to learn about current initiatives and also plan for your application in future years. We also encourage you to be in touch with our faculty to discuss their research and explore your interest in MSU. Stay healthy and well, and we hope to have the opportunity to meet you in the future. "
UVA, UMass Amherst, & Loyola Chicago's Clinical Psychology program also did not take students this year.