Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Clinical Question

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by BADMD, May 1, 2007.

1. BADMD

Physician

Attending Physician
    So I saw a 21 year old AA male with a painless penile lesion. He noticed it the night before. No symptoms of any kind. Only medical history is previously treated GC. No trauma

The lesion is about 1 x 1 cm, red, flat, with a small abrasion in the center. He said it was bleeding early that day. No penile discharge. No testicular tenderness. No palpable nodes.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, and his RPR is negative.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mountainman123

Medical Student
    Haemophilus Ducreyi is the only painless penile lesion that I can think of.

4. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

H. ducreyi has the painful soft chancre (a/k/a "chancroid"). T. pallidum is the painless hard chancre.

5. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Yep. Treponeme.

6. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Primary syphillis - the painless chancre. RPR may remain negative until high titers are present (and this is a new lesion). Sample the lesion, send it for dark-field microscopy, and repeat RPR/FTA-ABS in two days. 2.4 Million units of Benzathene Pencillin G IM should to do the trick...

7. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Also, tell the patient to double bag it from now on.

8. BADMD

Physician

Attending Physician
    I actually called one of the ID attendings today about this guy. It turns out that with a slightly off question, they are willing to put their clinic on hold and discuss a case.

Anyway, he said much as you did, however he did say that in a certain percentage of case, chancroid is painless as well. He recommended an alternate test on the blood sample, which, thankfully, the lab can do as they didn't toss his blood sample yet.

Fortunately, I gave him ceftriaxone and penicillin, so both diagnoses are covered. Hopefully he doesn't really have penile cancer, which is the third likely possibility that ID could come up with.