Clinical Research Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realitysickness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize if this question has already been asked before... but I was wondering if I could get a clear definition of clinical research?

I was under the impression that research involving patients and clinicians typically at clinics or hospitals would be considered clinical. In other words, clinical research is medical research. However, I read somewhere that other types of human-subjects research would also qualify as clinical research:
"Clinical research" is an umbrella term that encompasses pretty much everything that doesn't involve working in an actual lab.

I am a research coordinator at my school where I not only administered long surveys to student participants, but I also collected human specimen from them (saliva and hair samples), which will be later analyzed for inflammatory biomarkers. Would this be considered clinical research?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think something like working as assistant to a prof and giving surveys/taking samples for biomarkers would count as clinical in the sense that "clinical" is used when discussing premed/admissions. If you were working with perfectly healthy students rather than patients, it can certainly go down as "Research/Lab" on AMCAS but I would plan to get some significant clinical exposure in the first way you describe, involving patients and typically at clinics or hospitals.

I don't think something like working as assistant to a prof and giving surveys/taking samples for biomarkers would count as clinical in the sense that "clinical" is used when discussing premed/admissions. If you were working with perfectly healthy students rather than patients, it can certainly go down as "Research/Lab" on AMCAS but I would plan to get some significant clinical exposure in the first way you describe, involving patients and typically at clinics or hospitals.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I am working with healthy students so I will consider it strictly research/lab rather than clinical research.